snapshot 7.3-64 does not build, but head of b4winckler/macvim.git builds successfully

  • Darcy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2012

      Is there a new snapshot of 7.3? Or could someone create one? I like to install macvim with brew, but its latest formula uses snapshot 7.3-64 and I am unable to build it.

      At first I thought there was something wrong with my configuration, but after much investigating I found that I could build the latest from https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim.git. So it seems that a critical fix occurred between the 7.3-64 snapshot and now.

      To verify it wasn't a homebrew specific issue, I also tried building snapshot 7.3-64 the same way I build macvim successfully with the latest src in github. I get the same issue about:
      The following build commands failed:
      Ld ../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/PSMTabBarControl normal x86_64

      I have a good build of macvim, so I am okay for now. But I'd like to make a friendly request to create a new snapshot so that homebrew can update their formula.

      Thanks

      Darcy

    • Darcy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
        I just learned that this issue can be worked around by passing the switch --HEAD to brew.

        brew install macvim --HEAD --override-system-vim

        And macvim builds correctly on my machine with brew. Maybe this tip will help others who have difficulty building macvim or want the latest/greatest.

      • Thomas Bohn
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
          I use the MacVim git repo to build it, works well. The 64 snapshot is
          old, there has been a few commits to the repo since then. I use this
          for compiling, I took it from Homebrew though.

          CC=clang ./configure --with-features=huge --with-tlib=ncurses
          --enable-multibyte --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
          --enable-rubyinterp --enable-tclinterp --enable-macvim-check
          --with-macarchs=x86_64; make -j6

          No idea if it makes any difference to use clang instead of gcc. I
          guess it doesn't really matter.

          Thomas