Re: MacVim: hello Core Text, goodbye toolbar

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2012
      > renderer has which are lacking in the Core Text renderer. In
      > particular, you can't double-tap with three fingers over a word to see
      > its definition (adding this functionality is a bit complicated but I
      > have some proof of concepts in my private repo).

      In case you haven't seen it: This got a lot easier to implement in 10.8, since you can implement quickLookWithEvent:, send a request for the word at the cursor position to the vim process, and then asynchronously call showDefinitionForAttributedString:atPoint: once the result arrives.

      (In 10.7 and earlier, one had to implement some synchronous NSTextInput method, which was annoying to do in multiprocess architectures.)

      Nico

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2012
        > In case you haven't seen it: This got a lot easier to implement in 10.8, since you can implement quickLookWithEvent:, send a request for the word at the cursor position to the vim process, and then asynchronously call showDefinitionForAttributedString:atPoint: once the result arrives.

        Thanks Nico, I was not aware of that new API. It will certainly make
        it a lot easier to implement the dictionary popup. I already toyed
        around with it -- the only problem now is figuring out the right way
        to ask Vim for the word under the mouse pointer and getting the
        coordinates of the start of said word...