Re: Bug: MacVim shows no window when build with the new Xcode 4.4 release

  • Chip Warden
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
      On Aug 2, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Manpreet Singh <manpreet.singh@...> wrote:

      > The Xcode 4.4 release of a few days ago on Mac Lion (10.7.4) creates MacVim builds which can't create an edit window. vim works fine, gvim just refuses to create a window no matter what you try. But it thinks it has created the window because when you try to quit it, it warns you about open windows. Please see
      >
      > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657
      >
      > for multiple reports of this issue.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Manpreet Singh

      This appears to be an issue with Xcode 4.4, not MacVim. A solution to your problem is posted at:

      https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657#issuecomment-7465494

      Chip Warden

    • Manpreet Singh
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
        On Friday, August 3, 2012 10:36:55 AM UTC-7, Chip Warden wrote:
        > On Aug 2, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Manpreet Singh <manpreet.singh@...> wrote:
        >

        > > The Xcode 4.4 release of a few days ago on Mac Lion (10.7.4) creates MacVim builds which can't create an edit window. vim works fine, gvim just refuses to create a window no matter what you try. But it thinks it has created the window because when you try to quit it, it warns you about open windows. Please see
        >

        > > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657
        >

        > > for multiple reports of this issue.
        >

        > > Thanks
        >
        > > Manpreet Singh
        >

        > This appears to be an issue with Xcode 4.4, not MacVim. A solution to your problem is posted at:
        >

        > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657#issuecomment-7465494
        >

        > Chip Warden

        Nope. Does not help if you read further comments.

        - Manpreet

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
          On Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:56:56 PM UTC-7, Manpreet Singh wrote:
          > The Xcode 4.4 release of a few days ago on Mac Lion (10.7.4) creates MacVim builds which can't create an edit window. vim works fine, gvim just refuses to create a window no matter what you try. But it thinks it has created the window because when you try to quit it, it warns you about open windows. Please see
          >
          > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657
          >
          > for multiple reports of this issue.

          I debugged an issue with the same symptoms a while ago. It happened when I ran `make` (which builds vim) with a different compiler than xcodebuild (which builds MacVim). Maybe 4.4 uses clang by default for the MacVim build -- in that case, run `CC=clang ./configure; make -j6` to build the corresponding vim binary. Make sure both vim and MacVim are built with the same compiler.

          Nico

        • Manpreet Singh
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
            On Friday, August 3, 2012 9:59:42 PM UTC-7, Nico Weber wrote:
            > On Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:56:56 PM UTC-7, Manpreet Singh wrote:
            > > The Xcode 4.4 release of a few days ago on Mac Lion (10.7.4) creates MacVim builds which can't create an edit window. vim works fine, gvim just refuses to create a window no matter what you try. But it thinks it has created the window because when you try to quit it, it warns you about open windows. Please see
            > >
            > > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/13657
            > >
            > > for multiple reports of this issue.
            >
            > I debugged an issue with the same symptoms a while ago. It happened when I ran `make` (which builds vim) with a different compiler than xcodebuild (which builds MacVim). Maybe 4.4 uses clang by default for the MacVim build -- in that case, run `CC=clang ./configure; make -j6` to build the corresponding vim binary. Make sure both vim and MacVim are built with the same compiler.
            >
            > Nico

            That did the trick. Thank you!

            - Manpreet

          • gmn
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2012
              > I debugged an issue with the same symptoms a while ago. It happened
              > when I ran `make` (which builds vim) with a different compiler than
              > xcodebuild (which builds MacVim). Maybe 4.4 uses clang by default for
              > the MacVim build -- in that case, run `CC=clang ./configure; make -j6`
              > to build the corresponding vim binary. Make sure both vim and MacVim
              > are built with the same compiler.

              Yes, "CC=clang ./configure; make -j6" works. But *jeez* it is annoying
              that special steps have to be taken.

              Plus, during the compliation of the Vim binary, all sorts of warnings
              are thrown out that weren't there before. And it's annoying because I
              usually want to just run the ./configuring part first. In which case, I
              can do "export CC=clang" and then the configuring on a separate line,
              but then I have to remember to get rid of $CC after building MacVim lest
              I accidentally botch building something else.

              And now my steps for building have to be different between 10.7 and up,
              and 10.6 and below.

              Arrgh! Apple!

              -gmn

            • gmn
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2012
                > > I debugged an issue with the same symptoms a while ago. It happened
                > > when I ran `make` (which builds vim) with a different compiler than
                > > xcodebuild (which builds MacVim). Maybe 4.4 uses clang by default for
                > > the MacVim build -- in that case, run `CC=clang ./configure; make -j6`
                > > to build the corresponding vim binary. Make sure both vim and MacVim
                > > are built with the same compiler.
                >
                > Yes, "CC=clang ./configure; make -j6" works. But *jeez* it is annoying
                > that special steps have to be taken.
                >
                > Plus, during the compliation of the Vim binary, all sorts of warnings
                > are thrown out that weren't there before. And it's annoying because I
                > usually want to just run the ./configuring part first. In which case, I
                > can do "export CC=clang" and then the configuring on a separate line,
                > but then I have to remember to get rid of $CC after building MacVim lest
                > I accidentally botch building something else.
                >
                > And now my steps for building have to be different between 10.7 and up,
                > and 10.6 and below.

                Hey, has anyone else noticed that there is no need for this maneuver at all on Mountain Lion, even though it has XCode 4.4 as well? I know there's a different package of command-line tools for 10.8 than for 10.7; maybe that's the difference.

                -gmn

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2012
                  On 5/08/12 7:00 AM, gmn wrote:
                  >> I debugged an issue with the same symptoms a while ago. It happened
                  >> when I ran `make` (which builds vim) with a different compiler than
                  >> xcodebuild (which builds MacVim). Maybe 4.4 uses clang by default for
                  >> the MacVim build -- in that case, run `CC=clang ./configure; make -j6`
                  >> to build the corresponding vim binary. Make sure both vim and MacVim
                  >> are built with the same compiler.
                  >
                  > Yes, "CC=clang ./configure; make -j6" works. But *jeez* it is annoying
                  > that special steps have to be taken.
                  >
                  > Plus, during the compliation of the Vim binary, all sorts of warnings
                  > are thrown out that weren't there before. And it's annoying because I
                  > usually want to just run the ./configuring part first. In which case, I
                  > can do "export CC=clang" and then the configuring on a separate line,
                  > but then I have to remember to get rid of $CC after building MacVim lest
                  > I accidentally botch building something else.
                  >
                  > And now my steps for building have to be different between 10.7 and up,
                  > and 10.6 and below.
                  >
                  > Arrgh! Apple!

                  Maybe a way to fix this would be to change the XCode project to use a
                  specific version of GCC rather than just the 'default compiler'. Then
                  autotools and Xcode will use the same one, right, because autotools will
                  pick up GCC first? I'm sure it's still not foolproof, but perhaps it's
                  better?

                  Ben.