error message when vimming over ssh

  • gmn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
      The following seems like a bug, but it's only a minor irritant and is
      not worth the effort to fix just for its own sake. But on the off
      chance it's really a symptom of something that *is* worth fixing...

      To reproduce:

      1. Have a second Mac, called Othermac, connected to the internet. You
      will only be directly interactive with your first Mac, called Mymac.

      2. Othermac should have a bash profile that sets a bash alias to open
      MacVim-in-the-console, i.e., "alias
      vim='/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim'".

      3. Do not be logged in, at least not in the GUI, on Othermac.

      4. On Mymac, in Terminal, do: ssh user@.... (In this
      example, Othermac is on the same home wifi network as Mymac, but this
      also works if Othermac is way far away at some institution.)

      5. Enter your pw, and you're at a shell prompt on Othermac.

      6. Now type 'vim', or whatever the alias mentioned in (2) is called.

      Expected behavior: You are looking at MacVim-in-the-console, as run on
      Othermac, in your Terminal on Mymac through an ssh connection.

      Actual behavior: The expected behavior, but not until you get the
      following error message in the Terminal:

      Jul 19 12:33:16 Othermac Vim[76348] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

      It is crucial to reproduction that step (3) be followed; if you are
      already logged in via the GUI, everything works as expected.

      Also, if you call your "true" console vim instead of MacVim-in-the-console,
      there will be no error message.

      -gmn

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2012
        On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM, gmn wrote:
        > The following seems like a bug, but it's only a minor irritant and is
        > not worth the effort to fix just for its own sake. But on the off
        > chance it's really a symptom of something that *is* worth fixing...
        >
        > Actual behavior: The expected behavior, but not until you get the
        > following error message in the Terminal:
        >
        > Jul 19 12:33:16 Othermac Vim[76348] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

        I have seen messages like this pop up in the past (or at least
        mentions thereof). They are logged from inside a system framework so
        I can't stop them from appearing (I would if I could). It may be that
        something is being done inside MacVim that is causing this, but if so
        I have never been able to pinpoint what it is.

        I think you just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

        > Also, if you call your "true" console vim instead of MacVim-in-the-console,
        > there will be no error message.

        Sorry if this comes across as sounding pedantic, but you don't have to
        add "true" in front of "console vim". MacVim is also "true" vim --
        just with a GUI added on top.

        As for why it the message does not pop up in console vim: it is not
        built against the CG framework where the message seems to originate so
        this is to be expected.

      • gmn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2012
          björn, on 07/23/12 at 20:39:32 +0200, wrote:
          > On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM, gmn wrote:
          > > The following seems like a bug, but it's only a minor irritant and is
          > > not worth the effort to fix just for its own sake. But on the off
          > > chance it's really a symptom of something that *is* worth fixing...
          > >
          > > Actual behavior: The expected behavior, but not until you get the
          > > following error message in the Terminal:
          > >
          > > Jul 19 12:33:16 Othermac Vim[76348] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
          >
          > I have seen messages like this pop up in the past (or at least
          > mentions thereof). They are logged from inside a system framework so
          > I can't stop them from appearing (I would if I could). It may be that
          > something is being done inside MacVim that is causing this, but if so
          > I have never been able to pinpoint what it is.
          >
          > I think you just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

          No problem.

          > > Also, if you call your "true" console vim instead of MacVim-in-the-console,
          > > there will be no error message.
          >
          > Sorry if this comes across as sounding pedantic, but you don't have to
          > add "true" in front of "console vim". MacVim is also "true" vim --
          > just with a GUI added on top.

          I do that to distinguish between running, in the terminal, the 'Vim'
          binary located inside MacVim.app on the one hand, and a 'vim' binary in
          /usr/local/bin that I built from Bram's mercurial repo.

          I agree that 'true console vim' is not the best term, because it makes
          it sound like MacVim and the Vim in it are inferior---which is untrue,
          and that was certainly not my intention anyway. So from now on I will
          call the one built from Bram's repo "BramVim". "console Vim" will mean
          the Vim that's inside the MacVim.app bundle.

          It's worth distinguishing the two, because as my last few messages
          reported, sometimes they behave differently. For another instance, Vim
          transfers anything you search for with the "/" command to other Mac
          apps' find dialogs. BramVim doesn't do this.

          [As a side note: Björn, I think ":h macvim-encoding" could be changed to
          make it clear that the forcible restriction of '&tenc' to utf8 only
          applies to the GUI and not to console Vim. I can set &tenc in console
          Vim to whatever I want without an error message, just like in BramVim.]

          -gmn