Re: Compiling MacVim

  • Tim Gray
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
      On Jun 18, 2012 at 09:46 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      >I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has
      >determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to
      >date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to
      >get the most up to date version it is necessary to compile it.

      There are more recent snapshots of MacVim. Why not download one of
      those? I think 64 is the most recent.

      For what it's worth, I build MacVim from the git source. I cloned the
      repository, cd'd into macvim/src, and configure with the following

      ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
      --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope

      Then just run make. After it's done, copy the app to your Applications
      folder (after you run it to make sure it's ok). It's in
      macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/. You probably will have to have Xcode
      installed or at least the Xcode command line tools.

      The above are essentially the instructions for building MacVim at github.
      If you don't know what other configure options you need, you probably
      don't need any - the default set in the instructions is probably enough
      for you (it is for me).

      If you are running an older version of OS X, the above should still
      work, but there could be differences.

    • Sean
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
        > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has determined
        > is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to date version of
        > vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to get the most up to
        > date version it is necessary to compile it....

        I would suggest using Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew).
        After installing that, you need do no more than:

        brew install macvim

        "brew info macvim" tells me that the currently available version is 7.3-64.

        -sean

      • Chip Warden
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
          On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

          > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to get the most up to date version it is necessary to compile it.
          >
          > First question is should I even attempt this? [Maybe I have no option?] I'm a naive nonprogrammer, with about a year's experience fiddling around with a variety of linux packages on a barely adequate machine before switching to the Mac enviornment. To the best of my recollection, I've never compiled anything.
          >
          > I've read the instruction on github. They're pretty straightforward, except about which options to set and whether to install the MacVim document icons. My thought regarding the first is to go with the options used in the instructions on github.
          >
          > I'm unclear about the last two items under "Enabling extra features," i.e., "universal binary" and "Mac OS X SDK version." Do I need to even bother about them?
          >
          > I'm unfamiliar with the document icons. I don't know whether I have them with my current version or not. Should they be included?
          >
          > Any cautions about things not made explicit in the instructions, taking into consideration my relative naiveté, would be appreciated.

          Eric,

          Are you using a package manager on OS X (like MacPorts or Homebrew)? If so, the easiest way to compile MacVim is to use the package manager's tools and options. I use Homebrew, and thus compiling MacVim looks like this:

          $ brew install macvim --HEAD --custom-icons --override-system-vim

          I run this command every month or so and I am guaranteed to have the most up-to-date MacVim and Vim (really, MacVim is a GUI interface to standard Vim -- not taking anything away from Bjorn's awesome work).

          I realized this adds an extra level of software to the process, but using a package manager makes compiling things so much easier.

          Chip Warden

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
            On Jun 18, 6:46 am, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
            > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer
            > has determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get
            > a more up to date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73
            > (53). I gather that to get the most up to date version it is
            > necessary to compile it.

            >On May 29, 11:51 am, Alex Lovell-Troy <farmk...@...> wrote:
            >> *NEW Snow Leopard Build of MacVim available*
            >>
            >> It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard of a new
            >> snapshot being ready, but to make sure I can still build on
            >> this old laptop, I fixed the bug and uploaded a new build to
            >> github.
            >>
            >> https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads
            >>
            >> For those of you not interested in using the built-in python
            >> interpreter, there's no reason to switch. Of course, I'm
            >> sure there are at least a few of you for which this will make
            >> life slightly easier.
            >>
            >> -alex

            If you do not want to compile, download the MacVim on
            Alex's git site. I have been using it for several weeks.

            MacVim-snapshot-64-OSX-10_6.tbz
            Snapshot 64 with python path bug fixed

            Bill

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
              On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Tim Gray wrote:

              > For what it's worth, I build MacVim from the git source. I cloned the repository, cd'd into macvim/src, and configure with the following options:
              > ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
              > --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope
              >
              > Then just run make. After it's done, copy the app to your Applications folder (after you run it to make sure it's ok). It's in macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/. You probably will have to have Xcode installed or at least the Xcode command line tools.
              >
              > The above are essentially the instructions for building MacVim at github. If you don't know what other configure options you need, you probably don't need any - the default set in the instructions is probably enough for you (it is for me).

              Thanks, Tim. It really doesn't sound all that difficult. And the options you set are the ones I was clearest about.

              That said, I took the chicken way out and installed a copy of snapshot 64 precompiled for Snow Leopard brought to my attention by Bill [bee]. When I have a little less on my plate I may give compiling a whirl, though.

              Unclear about Xcode. Encountered other mentions of it in exploring compiling. What does it do? I have Snow Leopard on a late 2009 vintage MacBook. I keep Snow Leopard up to date. Might I have it already? If not, where would I get it?

              Thanks again,
              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA
              eeweir@...

              "Style is truth."

              - Ray Bradbury

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                On Jun 18, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Chip Warden wrote:

                > Are you using a package manager on OS X (like MacPorts or Homebrew)? If so, the easiest way to compile MacVim is to use the package manager's tools and options. I use Homebrew, and thus compiling MacVim looks like this:
                >
                > $ brew install macvim --HEAD --custom-icons --override-system-vim
                >
                > I run this command every month or so and I am guaranteed to have the most up-to-date MacVim and Vim (really, MacVim is a GUI interface to standard Vim -- not taking anything away from Bjorn's awesome work).
                >
                > I realized this adds an extra level of software to the process, but using a package manager makes compiling things so much easier.

                Thanks, Chip. No, I haven't been using a package manager. Once in seeking help on the Apple forums---I don't remember what the issue was---I was admonished to avoid them---don't remember the reason give either. Have any idea what that's all about?

                Eric Weir
                Decatur, GA
                eeweir@...

                "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
                we borrow it from our children."

                - Chief Seattle.

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                  On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Sean wrote:

                  > I would suggest using Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew).
                  > After installing that, you need do no more than:
                  >
                  > brew install macvim
                  >
                  > "brew info macvim" tells me that the currently available version is 7.3-64.

                  Thanks, Sean. As in my response to Chip, I've been admonished, on an Apple forum, to avoid Homebrew and things like it. Don't recall what the reasons were, if any were given. But not understanding I've taken the safe way out and avoided them. Plus, I've never had occasion to use them. Never had any difficulty getting or installing software.

                  Eric Weir
                  Program and Resource Development ~ Evaluation ~ Writing
                  Education ~ The Environment ~ Community Development
                  1111 Clairemont Avenue J3 ~ Decatur, GA 30030
                  404-636-6142 ~ eeweir@...

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                    On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:48 PM, Bee wrote:

                    > If you do not want to compile, download the MacVim on
                    > Alex's git site. I have been using it for several weeks.
                    >
                    > MacVim-snapshot-64-OSX-10_6.tbz
                    > Snapshot 64 with python path bug fixed

                    Already responded on vim_use, Bill, but I've installed it.

                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA
                    eeweir@...

                    "What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

                    - Mary Oliver

                  • Tim Gray
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                      On Jun 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
                      >Unclear about Xcode. Encountered other mentions of it in exploring
                      >compiling. What does it do? I have Snow Leopard on a late 2009 vintage
                      >MacBook. I keep Snow Leopard up to date. Might I have it already? If
                      >not, where would I get it?

                      Xcode contains the compiler you will need to compile programs, either by
                      hand or with a package manager. You probably do not have it if you
                      haven't installed it. You get it from Apple. Either in the App store
                      or from the Developer website. I'm not sure if the App store works on
                      10.6, of if the Xcode found there is compatible with 10.6. There is a
                      package somewhere on the Apple website with just the command line tools
                      needed for compiling, but I don't remember the link or name, and also
                      don't know if it's compatible with 10.6.

                      As far as package managers go, I wouldn't avoid them if they offer you
                      tools that you want. I used macports and fink years ago to complement
                      programs I had manually compiled and installed, but I see no reason not
                      to use Homebrew now. It's matured greatly over the last couple of years
                      and more or less just works now. It's also designed for minimal
                      disturbance of the OS X ecosystem, so I see no reason to stay away.
                      That being said, I'm not sure if it still supports 10.6. Look at the
                      brew installation instructions for more detail:

                      https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Installation

                    • Eric Weir
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                        On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

                        > Xcode contains the compiler you will need to compile programs, either by hand or with a package manager. You probably do not have it if you haven't installed it. You get it from Apple. Either in the App store or from the Developer website. I'm not sure if the App store works on 10.6, of if the Xcode found there is compatible with 10.6. There is a package somewhere on the Apple website with just the command line tools needed for compiling, but I don't remember the link or name, and also don't know if it's compatible with 10.6.

                        Thanks, Tim. That's very helpful. I'm considering purchasing a new MacBook in a couple months or so. Either that or I'll upgrade to Mountain Lion. I may hold off getting a copy of Xcode till I do one or the other.

                        > As far as package managers go, I wouldn't avoid them if they offer you tools that you want. I used macports and fink years ago to complement programs I had manually compiled and installed, but I see no reason not to use Homebrew now. It's matured greatly over the last couple of years and more or less just works now. It's also designed for minimal disturbance of the OS X ecosystem, so I see no reason to stay away. That being said, I'm not sure if it still supports 10.6. Look at the brew installation instructions for more detail:

                        And thanks for this, too. Your comment about Homebrew minimizing "disturbance to the OS X ecosystem" reminds me that that was what was behind the negative comments about package managers---I think MacPorts and Homebrew were mentioned---on the Apple forum.

                        I'll check out the installation instructions and keep it in mind for the future.

                        Sincerely,
                        Eric Weir