MacVIM help?

  • Jason Slack-Moehrle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
      I am trying to create a macVim environment that allows files when
      double clicked from the Finder and opened via a command-line to be
      opened in MacVim in tabs.

      I have in my .vimrc:

      tabs=true

      and in my .bash_profile:

      alias mvim="open -a "/Applications/MacVim-snapshot-64/MacVim.app""

      In MacVim prefs I have checked: Open files from applications: in the
      current window
      as well as the pop-up below as: with a tab for each file.

      I am still getting separate windows.

      Can anyone provide advice?

      -Jason

    • Tim Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
        On Jun 14, 2012 at 08:05 AM -0700, Jason Slack-Moehrle wrote:
        >In MacVim prefs I have checked: Open files from applications: in the
        >current window
        >as well as the pop-up below as: with a tab for each file.

        That combination works here for me for files clicked in Finder.

        For files opened from the command line, to open them up in a MacVim
        window that is already open, you'll probably need to use the --remote
        option. Also, perusing the command line options, it looks like the -p
        option will open the files in tabs. From my playing around with these
        options right now, --remote and -p don't work together. I had to use
        --remote-tab to get the combination behavior (open in the current MacVim
        instance, but in tabs).

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
          On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Jason Slack-Moehrle wrote:

          > I have in my .vimrc:
          >
          > tabs=true

          This is not a valid command. What did you intend to do?

          > and in my .bash_profile:
          >
          > alias mvim="open -a "/Applications/MacVim-snapshot-64/MacVim.app""

          This is also a bit strange. Usually "mvim" refers to the script that
          comes bundled with MacVim (see ":h mvim").

          > In MacVim prefs I have checked: Open files from applications: in the
          > current window
          > as well as the pop-up below as: with a tab for each file.
          >
          > I am still getting separate windows.

          I can just say the same as Tim: this preference works fine for me.
          Maybe you should try going through the troubleshooting guide:

          https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
            On Jun 14, 8:05 am, Jason Slack-Moehrle <slackmoeh...@...>
            wrote:
            > I am trying to create a macVim environment that allows files when
            > double clicked from the Finder and opened via a command-line to be
            > opened in MacVim in tabs.
            >
            > I have in my .vimrc:
            >
            > tabs=true
            >
            > and in my .bash_profile:
            >
            > alias mvim="open -a "/Applications/MacVim-snapshot-64/MacVim.app""
            >
            > In MacVim prefs I have checked: Open files from applications: in the
            > current window
            > as well as the pop-up below as: with a tab for each file.
            >
            > I am still getting separate windows.
            >
            > Can anyone provide advice?
            >
            > -Jason

            This works well to open files from the command line:

            alias mvim='open -a macvim "$@"'

            To have Finder open files with double click:
            - find a file of the type (extension) you want to open in Finder
            - in Finder highlight the file
            - use "Finder > File > Get Info" --or-- command+I
            - click the triangle next to "Open With"
            - select MacVim, you may need to navigate using "Other..."
            - finally select "Change All"

            Then all files with that same extension will open with MacVim

            -Bill

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
              Oh... it can be simpler:

              alias mvim="open -a macvim $@"

              And it can be used to open several files at time:

              mvim zzoom.css ccc.sh .v7z.sh

              -Bill

            • Bee
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
                Another possibility... to open each file in a tab:

                macvimpath="/Applications/MacVim-snapshot-64"

                alias vimm="$macvimpath/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -gp $@"

                I like to separate the path from the app to make it clear where the
                app is,
                just in case, later, I move or rename it.

                These are in my ~/.profile file.

                Bill

              • zabouti
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 15, 2012
                  Thanks to everyone here - this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

                  Now, thanks to the suggestions here and to vim's help messages, I've made a little shell script with these two lines:

                  #!/bin/sh
                  /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -gp --remote-tab $*

                  If I call it with something like 'myvim ~/temp.txt', it will open ~/temp.txt in an existing MacVim window in a new tab.

                  I love it!

                • Andy Todd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
                    On 16/06/12 2:25 AM, zabouti wrote:
                    > Thanks to everyone here - this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.
                    >
                    > Now, thanks to the suggestions here and to vim's help messages, I've made a little shell script with these two lines:
                    >
                    > #!/bin/sh
                    > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -gp --remote-tab $*
                    >
                    > If I call it with something like 'myvim ~/temp.txt', it will open ~/temp.txt in an existing MacVim window in a new tab.
                    >
                    > I love it!

                    Or you could just switch to MacVim and type :tabe ~/temp.txt

                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    --
                    From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

                  • zabouti
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 16, 2012
                      On Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:33:27 AM UTC-4, Andy Todd wrote:
                      > On 16/06/12 2:25 AM, zabouti wrote:
                      > > Thanks to everyone here - this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.
                      > >
                      > > Now, thanks to the suggestions here and to vim's help messages, I've made a little shell script with these two lines:
                      > >
                      > > #!/bin/sh
                      > > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -gp --remote-tab $*
                      > >
                      > > If I call it with something like 'myvim ~/temp.txt', it will open ~/temp.txt in an existing MacVim window in a new tab.
                      > >
                      > > I love it!
                      > >

                      > Or you could just switch to MacVim and type :tabe ~/temp.txt
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Andy
                      > --
                      > From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

                      Or I can drag the file's icon from the finder and drop it into my MacVim window.

                      The point is that I can now do this right from the shell, where I tend to do lots of my work.

                      -- ge