Re: Does MacVim require separate installation of vim?

  • Tim Gray
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
      On Jun 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      >A quick followup. I notice additions to the spelling dictionary---if
      >that's what it's called;I'm referring to 'en.utf-8.add' and
      >'en.utf8.add.spl'---are getting saved to ~\.vim\spell. Is that the
      >default location when using MacVim?

      Yes, it's the default location for MacVim and vim.

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
        On Jun 13, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

        > On Jun 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
        >> A quick followup. I notice additions to the spelling dictionary---if that's what it's called;I'm referring to 'en.utf-8.add' and 'en.utf8.add.spl'---are getting saved to ~\.vim\spell. Is that the default location when using MacVim?
        >
        > Yes, it's the default location for MacVim and vim.

        Thanks, Tim.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA USA
        eeweir@...

        "Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position,
        but certainty is an absurd one."

        - Voltaire

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
          On Jun 13, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

          > On Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
          >> You can tweak where vim-addon-manager installs plugins---and is itself installed. I have mine going into ~\.
          >
          > You are more than welcome to do that, but other versions of vim are not going to look there by default... Is ~/ really better than ~/.vim/?

          I don't remember my specific reason for putting it there. I think at the time---and definitely so recently---I found myself going to the vim-addons folder frequently and just wanted it at the top level of ~\. I don't think it creates any problems for vim in finding plugins. When you change the location of the vim-addons folder, vam updates the runtime path for plugins to that location.

          That said, your explanations below of the variety of ways ~\.vim can be/is used is causing me to rethink my decision. I imagine it would help me to stay current with the state of ~\.vim. And keeping everything in the home folder related to vim in one place makes sense, too. If I make the change, a minor change to the install path in my vam setup in my .vimrc will result in the paths to all my plugins being updated to the new location.

          >> Yes, it was taking a closer look at the MacVim package than had previously that led me to ask whether I needed a separate installation. It appears I don't. In any case I don't have it. It's not in \usr\local\bin.
          >
          > If you are running OS X, I would be shocked if you didn't have vim at /usr/bin/vim, with the site wide files for the copy of vim at /usr/share/vim. To repeat, the site wide files are separate from your user files. Don't install plugins into the site wide file location. The stuff in .vim IS NOT a separate installation. The stuff you find in /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime is more or less mirrored at /usr/share/vim/vim73. Those two sets of files ARE separate installations of vim; the first corresponding to MacVim, the second to default OS X. The exact path (/usr/share/vim/vim73) might be different if you are running an older version of OS X. 10.5 for example didn't have Vim 7.3, it had 7.2, so the location for runtime files was /usr/share/vim/vim72.

          My mistake. I looked in \usr\local\bin. In fact, there is an installation in \usr\bin and the files for it are at \usr\share\vim and it is vim72. My Mac was purchased in late 2009, but I'm running snow leopard, and will probably get a new machine later this summer. [Dreading the transition. One the one hand, I don't want to have to start from scratch. On the other hand, imagine I've thrown more than a few wrenches into the gears of the system in the last couple years, and it would be nice to get free of them.]

          > It's only 'superfluous' for you because you are storing your plugins in a nonstandard location and not using some of the other features that make use of .vim. Or maybe you are using some of those features but just don't realize it. And if you wanted to add ANYTHING customized, outside of what vim-addon-manager provides, you'd have to put it in ~/.vim/ (unless you really reconfigured things). For example, if you add terms to the speller dictionary, they go in ~/.vim/spell. If you use the session.vim plugin to save sessions, it saves it's files in ~/.vim/session. Tweaked color themes go in ~/.vim/colors. Snipmate looks for snippets in ~/.vim/snippets. I could go on, but I think you understand. The way I use vim, there are certain settings and scripts that aren't provided by any existing plugins, and those go into ~/.vim, because that's where Vim looks for such things.
          >
          > MacVim expects to find things in ~/.vim, IF you choose to use those capabilities. There's nothing from stopping someone from running plain vanilla (Mac)Vim with no .vimrc or plugins or files in the ~/.vim folder, but the program still looks there for stuff. If you do decide to use those features, Vim and most plugins expect to store and find things in .vim. Notice that vim-addon-manager defaults to ~/.vim/vim-addons? You had to change it to make it use another folder. vim-addon-manager is a very well written plugin where the option to use a different folder has been expose to the end user - a lot of plugins don't provide that.

          Again, comments all well-taken. Very likely I will collect all my vim-related stuff into ~\.vim as a way to keep myself better informed about its state.

          Thanks very much for your clear and detailed responses.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA
          eeweir@...

          "What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

          - Mary Oliver

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 18, 2012
            On 13/06/12 7:49 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

            > Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim installation
            > to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I started using
            > vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim installation.
            >
            > If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation? If not, and
            > if I had reason to do a manual installation of a plugin---not very likely, but I'm
            > curious---where would I put it?

            ~/.vim

            Only the runtime files shipped with Vim are stored in
            /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime. (The runtime
            files for the Mac OS X version of Vim are in /usr/share/vim/vim73 or
            similar.)

            In both cases, the user's runtime files go in ~/.vim.

            The user's vimrc belongs at ~/.vimrc and system ones vary in location.
            Issuing :version inside Vim can give you more information. :echo $VIM
            and :echo $VIMRUNTIME and :echo $HOME can help you understand the
            output, too.

            Ben.

            P.S. Probably best not to cross-post. I'm replying only on vim_mac, since this is
            a fairly Mac-specific question.

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 18, 2012
              On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

              > Only the runtime files shipped with Vim are stored in
              > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime. (The runtime
              > files for the Mac OS X version of Vim are in /usr/share/vim/vim73 or
              > similar.)
              >
              > In both cases, the user's runtime files go in ~/.vim.
              >
              > The user's vimrc belongs at ~/.vimrc and system ones vary in location.
              > Issuing :version inside Vim can give you more information. :echo $VIM
              > and :echo $VIMRUNTIME and :echo $HOME can help you understand the
              > output, too.

              Thanks, Ben. That's where I have things. Was under the impression that vim itself was in ~/.vim. I'm clear now.

              > P.S. Probably best not to cross-post. I'm replying only on vim_mac, since this is a fairly Mac-specific question.

              I've been admonished about this before, and mostly avoid it. I just reposted a vim_mac post to vim_use. It's pretty Mac-specific, but vim_mac seems not to be very active at the moment, and I thought I might get a quicker response here.

              Eric Weir
              eeweir@...

              "Any assurance economists pretend to with
              regard to cause and effect is merely a pose."

              - Emanuel Derman

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 18, 2012
                On 19/06/12 4:32 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
                > On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                >
                >> Only the runtime files shipped with Vim are stored in
                >> /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime. (The runtime
                >> files for the Mac OS X version of Vim are in /usr/share/vim/vim73 or
                >> similar.)
                >>
                >> In both cases, the user's runtime files go in ~/.vim.
                >>
                >> The user's vimrc belongs at ~/.vimrc and system ones vary in location.
                >> Issuing :version inside Vim can give you more information. :echo $VIM
                >> and :echo $VIMRUNTIME and :echo $HOME can help you understand the
                >> output, too.
                >
                > Thanks, Ben. That's where I have things. Was under the impression that vim itself was in ~/.vim. I'm clear now.
                >
                >> P.S. Probably best not to cross-post. I'm replying only on vim_mac, since this is a fairly Mac-specific question.
                >
                > I've been admonished about this before, and mostly avoid it. I just reposted a vim_mac post to vim_use. It's pretty Mac-specific, but vim_mac seems not to be very active at the moment, and I thought I might get a quicker response here.

                Mmm. I think that's why I didn't see all the previous answers, too! They
                were filed differently because of the cross-posting.

                Anyway, never mind; no harm done. Glad you've got an answer.

                Smiles,

                Ben.