Re: Cutting and pasting across vim sessions

  • Andy Todd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
      On 8/06/12 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.4. If I am editing a file using vim, I can copy text by highlighting it and pressing 'y'. How can I paste that text into another file, that is, after I close the file I'm currently in (by doing Esc + ":q") and then opening a new file?
      >
      > I remember being able to do this on a Linux instance of vim, but I can't remember how to configure vim to get this to happen.
      >
      > Thanks, - Dave

      "+y will copy your selection to the clipboard. I haven't tried it on
      command line vim on the Mac but it works on every other platform.

      Regards,
      Andy
      --
      From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

    • Andy Todd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
        On 8/06/12 7:30 AM, Andy Todd wrote:
        > On 8/06/12 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.4. If I am editing a file using vim, I
        >> can copy text by highlighting it and pressing 'y'. How can I paste
        >> that text into another file, that is, after I close the file I'm
        >> currently in (by doing Esc + ":q") and then opening a new file?
        >>
        >> I remember being able to do this on a Linux instance of vim, but I
        >> can't remember how to configure vim to get this to happen.
        >>
        >> Thanks, - Dave
        >>

        > "+y will copy your selection to the clipboard. I haven't tried it on
        > command line vim on the Mac but it works on every other platform.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Andy

        Oh, and "+gP will paste from the clipboard.

        Regards,
        Andy
        --
        From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

      • Serge Pirotte
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2012
          In your vimrc, if you include the line:
          set clipboard=unnamed
          pressing 'y' will copy the selected text to the clipboard.

          Regarda,
          Serge