Cutting and pasting across vim sessions

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012

      I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.4. If I am editing a file using vim, I can copy text by highlighting it and pressing 'y'. How can I paste that text into another file, that is, after I close the file I'm currently in (by doing Esc + ":q") and then opening a new file?

      I remember being able to do this on a Linux instance of vim, but I can't remember how to configure vim to get this to happen.

      Thanks, - Dave

    • Andy Todd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
        On 8/06/12 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.4. If I am editing a file using vim, I can copy text by highlighting it and pressing 'y'. How can I paste that text into another file, that is, after I close the file I'm currently in (by doing Esc + ":q") and then opening a new file?
        >
        > I remember being able to do this on a Linux instance of vim, but I can't remember how to configure vim to get this to happen.
        >
        > Thanks, - Dave

        "+y will copy your selection to the clipboard. I haven't tried it on
        command line vim on the Mac but it works on every other platform.

        Regards,
        Andy
        --
        From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

      • Andy Todd
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
          On 8/06/12 7:30 AM, Andy Todd wrote:
          > On 8/06/12 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.4. If I am editing a file using vim, I
          >> can copy text by highlighting it and pressing 'y'. How can I paste
          >> that text into another file, that is, after I close the file I'm
          >> currently in (by doing Esc + ":q") and then opening a new file?
          >>
          >> I remember being able to do this on a Linux instance of vim, but I
          >> can't remember how to configure vim to get this to happen.
          >>
          >> Thanks, - Dave
          >>

          > "+y will copy your selection to the clipboard. I haven't tried it on
          > command line vim on the Mac but it works on every other platform.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Andy

          Oh, and "+gP will paste from the clipboard.

          Regards,
          Andy
          --
          From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

        • Serge Pirotte
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2012
            In your vimrc, if you include the line:
            set clipboard=unnamed
            pressing 'y' will copy the selected text to the clipboard.

            Regarda,
            Serge