Re: Has anyone successfully built MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby support using *homebrew's Python and Ruby packages*?

  • Phil Dobbin

      On 16/04/2012 16:02, Chris Patti wrote:

      > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@...> wrote:
      >> On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
      >>> I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
      >>> through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
      >>> and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
      >>> exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
      >>>
      >>> So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
      >>> http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
      >>>
      >>> on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
      >>> versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
      >>>
      >>> Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
      >>> being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
      >>> scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
      >>> stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
      >>> missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
      >>>
      >>> So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
      >>> support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?
      >>
      >> I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c). I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):
      >>
      >> CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
      >> --enable-rubyinterp \
      >> --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
      >> --enable-perlinterp \
      >> --enable-cscope \
      >>
      >> Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.
      >>
      >> I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.
      >>
      >> Best,
      >>
      >> Matthew
      >>

      > I think that's the issue. Homebrew appears to be building a 64 bit Python etc.
      >
      > I'll try exploring some of those config options and see if I can get
      > Homebrew to build its Python as 32 bit.

      I built my MacVim using rvm's Ruby & perlbrew's Perl. The version of
      Python was supplied my Mac Ports:

      `Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall
      - -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
      - -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
      Linking: gcc -L. -bind_at_load -L. -bind_at_load
      - -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon
      - -lncurses -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/u
      sr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib
      -
      -L/Users/dobbin/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/darwin-2level/CORE
      - -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python -lruby -lobjc -L/Users
      /dobbin/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p352/lib`

      Python compiles pretty easily so your best bet may be to install it into
      $HOME/bin, do the linking required & pass the appropriate flags to
      MacVim. I think you could also ignore the OS X specific Framework for
      python & just try a standard *nix install into ~/bin. I haven't tried it
      but it should work (I use python nowadays via virtualenv).

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      - --
      But masters, remember that I am an ass.