Re: Has anyone successfully built MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby support using *homebrew's Python and Ruby packages*?

  • Matthew Brett
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2012
      On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
      > I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
      > through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
      > and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
      > exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
      >
      > So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
      > http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
      >
      > on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
      > versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
      >
      > Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
      > being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
      > scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
      > stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
      > missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
      >
      > So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
      > support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?

      I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c). I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):

      CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
      --enable-rubyinterp \
      --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
      --enable-perlinterp \
      --enable-cscope \

      Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.

      I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.

      Best,

      Matthew

    • Chris Patti
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2012
        On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@...> wrote:
        > On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
        >> I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
        >> through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
        >> and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
        >> exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
        >>
        >> So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
        >> http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
        >>
        >> on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
        >> versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
        >>
        >> Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
        >> being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
        >> scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
        >> stock, because various other things depend on them.  Also, I end up
        >> missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
        >>
        >> So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
        >> support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?
        >
        > I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c).  I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):
        >
        > CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
        >              --enable-rubyinterp \
        >              --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
        >              --enable-perlinterp \
        >              --enable-cscope \
        >
        > Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.
        >
        > I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Matthew

        I think that's the issue. Homebrew appears to be building a 64 bit Python etc.

        I'll try exploring some of those config options and see if I can get
        Homebrew to build its Python as 32 bit.

        Thanks!
        -Chris

        --
        Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM:
        chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI

      • Phil Dobbin

          On 16/04/2012 16:02, Chris Patti wrote:

          > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@...> wrote:
          >> On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
          >>> I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
          >>> through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
          >>> and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
          >>> exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
          >>>
          >>> So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
          >>> http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
          >>>
          >>> on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
          >>> versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
          >>>
          >>> Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
          >>> being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
          >>> scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
          >>> stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
          >>> missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
          >>>
          >>> So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
          >>> support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?
          >>
          >> I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c). I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):
          >>
          >> CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
          >> --enable-rubyinterp \
          >> --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
          >> --enable-perlinterp \
          >> --enable-cscope \
          >>
          >> Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.
          >>
          >> I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.
          >>
          >> Best,
          >>
          >> Matthew
          >>

          > I think that's the issue. Homebrew appears to be building a 64 bit Python etc.
          >
          > I'll try exploring some of those config options and see if I can get
          > Homebrew to build its Python as 32 bit.

          I built my MacVim using rvm's Ruby & perlbrew's Perl. The version of
          Python was supplied my Mac Ports:

          `Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall
          - -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
          - -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
          Linking: gcc -L. -bind_at_load -L. -bind_at_load
          - -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon
          - -lncurses -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/u
          sr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib
          -
          -L/Users/dobbin/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/darwin-2level/CORE
          - -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python -lruby -lobjc -L/Users
          /dobbin/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p352/lib`

          Python compiles pretty easily so your best bet may be to install it into
          $HOME/bin, do the linking required & pass the appropriate flags to
          MacVim. I think you could also ignore the OS X specific Framework for
          python & just try a standard *nix install into ~/bin. I haven't tried it
          but it should work (I use python nowadays via virtualenv).

          Cheers,

          Phil...

          - --
          But masters, remember that I am an ass.