Has anyone successfully built MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby support using *homebrew's Python and Ruby packages*?

  • Chris Patti
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2012
      I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
      through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
      and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
      exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).

      So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
      http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/

      on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
      versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.

      Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
      being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
      scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
      stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
      missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.

      So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
      support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?

      Thanks a bunch in advance!

      -Chris

      --
      Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM:
      chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI

    • Matthew Brett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2012
        On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
        > I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
        > through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
        > and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
        > exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
        >
        > So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
        > http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
        >
        > on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
        > versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
        >
        > Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
        > being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
        > scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
        > stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
        > missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
        >
        > So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
        > support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?

        I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c). I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):

        CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
        --enable-rubyinterp \
        --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
        --enable-perlinterp \
        --enable-cscope \

        Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.

        I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.

        Best,

        Matthew

      • Chris Patti
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2012
          On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@...> wrote:
          > On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
          >> I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
          >> through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
          >> and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
          >> exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
          >>
          >> So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
          >> http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
          >>
          >> on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
          >> versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
          >>
          >> Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
          >> being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
          >> scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
          >> stock, because various other things depend on them.  Also, I end up
          >> missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
          >>
          >> So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
          >> support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?
          >
          > I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c).  I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):
          >
          > CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
          >              --enable-rubyinterp \
          >              --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
          >              --enable-perlinterp \
          >              --enable-cscope \
          >
          > Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.
          >
          > I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Matthew

          I think that's the issue. Homebrew appears to be building a 64 bit Python etc.

          I'll try exploring some of those config options and see if I can get
          Homebrew to build its Python as 32 bit.

          Thanks!
          -Chris

          --
          Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM:
          chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
          "Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

        • Phil Dobbin

            On 16/04/2012 16:02, Chris Patti wrote:

            > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@...> wrote:
            >> On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, Chris Patti wrote:
            >>> I'd decided to try out VimRePress for my blogging needs, so I went
            >>> through the usual install process with my stock MacVim under Homebrew
            >>> and *kaboom*! I get errors about shared modules (I don't have the
            >>> exact errors because I found a solution - but not an ideal one).
            >>>
            >>> So, I found Paulo Poiati's excellent blog post here:
            >>> http://blog.paulopoiati.com/2012/02/07/installing-vimrepress-in-macvim-osx-lion/
            >>>
            >>> on how to get things going, but you're stuck using the default
            >>> versions of Python etc that come bundled with MacOS X.
            >>>
            >>> Quite honestly, this stinks, for a number of reasons, chief among them
            >>> being that I don't like to have to run sudo to install random Python
            >>> scripts, and also because I like to keep the stock Python, Ruby, etc
            >>> stock, because various other things depend on them. Also, I end up
            >>> missing the more recent versions that Homebrew provides.
            >>>
            >>> So, has anyone managed to build MacVim under Homebrew with Python/Ruby
            >>> support using the Homebrew supplied versions of these packages?
            >>
            >> I just build MacVim to pick up the python.org python, with (current master= bcc349c). I have python.org 32 bit python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, which was built with gcc 4.0, so the configure command was something like (sorry):
            >>
            >> CC=gcc-4.0 CFLAGS="-arch i386" ./configure --with-features=huge \
            >> --enable-rubyinterp \
            >> --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic \
            >> --enable-perlinterp \
            >> --enable-cscope \
            >>
            >> Obviously `which python` finds my python.org Python 2.6, so MacVIm appeared to pick that up at build and run time.
            >>
            >> I tried using the --with-python-config-dir=PATH option to pick up the python.org python, and it compiled, but seemed to lose a large proportion of its path for reasons I did not investigate much.
            >>
            >> Best,
            >>
            >> Matthew
            >>

            > I think that's the issue. Homebrew appears to be building a 64 bit Python etc.
            >
            > I'll try exploring some of those config options and see if I can get
            > Homebrew to build its Python as 32 bit.

            I built my MacVim using rvm's Ruby & perlbrew's Perl. The version of
            Python was supplied my Mac Ports:

            `Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall
            - -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
            - -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
            Linking: gcc -L. -bind_at_load -L. -bind_at_load
            - -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon
            - -lncurses -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/u
            sr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib
            -
            -L/Users/dobbin/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/darwin-2level/CORE
            - -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python -lruby -lobjc -L/Users
            /dobbin/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p352/lib`

            Python compiles pretty easily so your best bet may be to install it into
            $HOME/bin, do the linking required & pass the appropriate flags to
            MacVim. I think you could also ignore the OS X specific Framework for
            python & just try a standard *nix install into ~/bin. I haven't tried it
            but it should work (I use python nowadays via virtualenv).

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            - --
            But masters, remember that I am an ass.