Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Phil Dobbin

      On 21/03/2012 09:31, Andrew Stewart wrote:

      > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
      >>>
      >>> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in
      >>> "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
      >>
      >> It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink
      >> a la `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way
      >> personally I'd do it.
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does,
      > just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

      See :help -v

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      - --
      But masters, remember that I am an ass.
      Though it be not written down,
      yet forget not that I am an ass.

    • Andrew Stewart
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
        On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
        > See :help -v

        Oh, right. Thanks!

        Cheers,
        Andy Stewart

      • Darcy
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
          Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
          It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
          to vim.

          vim='mvim -v'
          alias vim="${vim}"

          The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
          opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
          the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
          mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

          I learned about it here:
          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

          Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
          it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
          $EDITOR...

          Darcy

          On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
          > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
          >
          > > See :help -v
          >
          > Oh, right.  Thanks!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Andy Stewart

        • Phil Dobbin

            On 22/03/2012 13:53, Darcy wrote:
            > Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
            > It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
            > to vim.
            >
            > vim='mvim -v'
            > alias vim="${vim}"
            >
            > The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
            > opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
            > the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
            > mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...
            >
            > I learned about it here:
            > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal
            >
            > Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
            > it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
            > $EDITOR...

            In which case you could pull the Vim sources from Mercurial & build a
            console Vim to fit your requirements (the default build installs into
            /usr/local/).

            Or alternatively, use MacPorts for a console version (I currently use a
            console version of Vim from MacPorts & a MacVim I compiled from Bjorn's
            sources on OS X).

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            - --