Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Andrew Stewart
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
      On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
      > On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:
      >> On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
      >>> vim='mvim -v'
      >>
      >> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
      >
      > It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
      > `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
      > do it.

      Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does, just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

      Cheers,

      Andy Stewart
      ----
      http://airbladesoftware.com

    • Phil Dobbin

      • Andrew Stewart
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
          On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
          > See :help -v

          Oh, right. Thanks!

          Cheers,
          Andy Stewart

        • Darcy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
            Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
            It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
            to vim.

            vim='mvim -v'
            alias vim="${vim}"

            The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
            opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
            the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
            mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

            I learned about it here:
            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

            Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
            it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
            $EDITOR...

            Darcy

            On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
            > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
            >
            > > See :help -v
            >
            > Oh, right.  Thanks!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Andy Stewart