Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
      On Mar 19, 2:35 pm, Yvonne Watkins <ehr...@...> wrote:
      > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
      >
      > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
      >
      > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
      >
      > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
      >
      > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
      > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > n00b - Yvonne

      Maybe your download was corrupted.

      Go here:
      <https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads>

      Download:
      MacVim-snapshot-64-SL.tbz

      Once xpanded it should contain:
      mvim
      MacVim
      README.txt

      Copy MacVim to your Applications folder.

      It works great here, 10.6.8

      Bill

    • Andrew Stewart
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
        On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
        > vim='mvim -v'

        How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.

        Thanks in advance,

        Andy Stewart
        ----
        http://airbladesoftware.com

      • Phil Dobbin

        • Andrew Stewart
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
            On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
            > On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:
            >> On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
            >>> vim='mvim -v'
            >>
            >> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
            >
            > It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
            > `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
            > do it.

            Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does, just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

            Cheers,

            Andy Stewart
            ----
            http://airbladesoftware.com

          • Phil Dobbin

            • Andrew Stewart
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                > See :help -v

                Oh, right. Thanks!

                Cheers,
                Andy Stewart

              • Darcy
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
                  Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
                  It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
                  to vim.

                  vim='mvim -v'
                  alias vim="${vim}"

                  The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
                  opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
                  the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
                  mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

                  I learned about it here:
                  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

                  Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
                  it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
                  $EDITOR...

                  Darcy

                  On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
                  > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                  >
                  > > See :help -v
                  >
                  > Oh, right.  Thanks!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Andy Stewart