Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Stanislaw Pusep
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
      Install MacPorts: http://www.macports.org/install.php
      Then do "sudo port install MacVim +cscope +huge +perl +python +ruby +tcl" to install the full version.

      On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 14:21, Darcy <darcyparker@...> wrote:
      I find it easier to use brew.

      1) Install brew. http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

      1.5) To make binaries installed by brew take precedence over other
      binaries on your OS, make sure /usr/local/bin is at the front of your
      path.  You can do this by adding this to your bashrc.

      # Move (or Add) /usr/local/bin to the front of the path
      [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && export PATH=$(echo /usr/local/bin:$PATH | sed
      -e 's;:/usr/local/bin;;')

      2) `brew install macvim` from a command line.  This installs to `/usr/
      local`.  You can keep all of your brew installed formula (aka
      applications) up to date with `brew upgrade` or just upgrade macvim
      with `brew upgrade macvim`.

      3) Create environment variables and aliases for macvim in your bashrc.
      For example:

      vim='mvim -v'
      alias vim="${vim}"
      alias gvim="mvim"
      export EDITOR="${vim} -g --remote-tab-silent"
      export GIT_EDITOR="${vim} -g -f"

      Note: I create the vim environment variable because I use it multiple
      times...
      Note: the terminal version of vim is also included with macvim.  It's
      newer than the vim that comes with OS X, and it includes support for
      ruby and python plugins.
      Note: `mvim` is added to /usr/local/bin by brew...

      Darcy

      On Mar 20, 12:07 pm, Cássio Marques <cassio...@...> wrote:
      > - Download this file: LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62.tbz (https://github.com/downloads/b4winckler/macvim/LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim...)
      > - Extract it
      > - Copy the MacVim file to your Applications folder
      > - cp the mvim file to /usr/bin
      >
      > That's it, works pretty well for me, also on Snow Leopard.
      >
      > --
      > Cássio Marques
      >

      > On Monday, March 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Yvonne Watkins wrote:
      > > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
      >
      > > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
      >
      > > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
      >
      > > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
      >
      > > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
      > > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
      >
      > > Thanks,
      > > n00b - Yvonne
      >
      > > --
      > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
        On Mar 19, 2:35 pm, Yvonne Watkins <ehr...@...> wrote:
        > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
        >
        > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
        >
        > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
        >
        > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
        >
        > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
        > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > n00b - Yvonne

        Maybe your download was corrupted.

        Go here:
        <https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads>

        Download:
        MacVim-snapshot-64-SL.tbz

        Once xpanded it should contain:
        mvim
        MacVim
        README.txt

        Copy MacVim to your Applications folder.

        It works great here, 10.6.8

        Bill

      • Andrew Stewart
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
          On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
          > vim='mvim -v'

          How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.

          Thanks in advance,

          Andy Stewart
          ----
          http://airbladesoftware.com

        • Phil Dobbin

            On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:

            > On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
            >> vim='mvim -v'
            >
            > How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.

            It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
            `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
            do it.

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            - --
            But masters, remember that I am an ass.
            Though it be not written down,
            yet forget not that I am an ass.

          • Andrew Stewart
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
              On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
              > On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:
              >> On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
              >>> vim='mvim -v'
              >>
              >> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
              >
              > It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
              > `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
              > do it.

              Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does, just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

              Cheers,

              Andy Stewart
              ----
              http://airbladesoftware.com

            • Phil Dobbin

                On 21/03/2012 09:31, Andrew Stewart wrote:

                > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                >>>
                >>> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in
                >>> "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
                >>
                >> It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink
                >> a la `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way
                >> personally I'd do it.
                >
                > Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does,
                > just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

                See :help -v

                Cheers,

                Phil...

                - --

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                  On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                  > See :help -v

                  Oh, right. Thanks!

                  Cheers,
                  Andy Stewart

                • Darcy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
                    Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
                    It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
                    to vim.

                    vim='mvim -v'
                    alias vim="${vim}"

                    The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
                    opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
                    the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
                    mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

                    I learned about it here:
                    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

                    Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
                    it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
                    $EDITOR...

                    Darcy

                    On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
                    > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                    >
                    > > See :help -v
                    >
                    > Oh, right.  Thanks!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Andy Stewart

                  • Phil Dobbin

                      On 22/03/2012 13:53, Darcy wrote:
                      > Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
                      > It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
                      > to vim.
                      >
                      > vim='mvim -v'
                      > alias vim="${vim}"
                      >
                      > The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
                      > opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
                      > the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
                      > mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...
                      >
                      > I learned about it here:
                      > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal
                      >
                      > Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
                      > it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
                      > $EDITOR...

                      In which case you could pull the Vim sources from Mercurial & build a
                      console Vim to fit your requirements (the default build installs into
                      /usr/local/).

                      Or alternatively, use MacPorts for a console version (I currently use a
                      console version of Vim from MacPorts & a MacVim I compiled from Bjorn's
                      sources on OS X).

                      Cheers,

                      Phil...

                      - --