Re: instructions for installing macvim

  • Darcy
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
      I find it easier to use brew.

      1) Install brew. http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

      1.5) To make binaries installed by brew take precedence over other
      binaries on your OS, make sure /usr/local/bin is at the front of your
      path. You can do this by adding this to your bashrc.

      # Move (or Add) /usr/local/bin to the front of the path
      [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && export PATH=$(echo /usr/local/bin:$PATH | sed
      -e 's;:/usr/local/bin;;')

      2) `brew install macvim` from a command line. This installs to `/usr/
      local`. You can keep all of your brew installed formula (aka
      applications) up to date with `brew upgrade` or just upgrade macvim
      with `brew upgrade macvim`.

      3) Create environment variables and aliases for macvim in your bashrc.
      For example:

      vim='mvim -v'
      alias vim="${vim}"
      alias gvim="mvim"
      export EDITOR="${vim} -g --remote-tab-silent"
      export GIT_EDITOR="${vim} -g -f"

      Note: I create the vim environment variable because I use it multiple
      times...
      Note: the terminal version of vim is also included with macvim. It's
      newer than the vim that comes with OS X, and it includes support for
      ruby and python plugins.
      Note: `mvim` is added to /usr/local/bin by brew...

      Darcy

      On Mar 20, 12:07 pm, Cássio Marques <cassio...@...> wrote:
      > - Download this file: LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62.tbz (https://github.com/downloads/b4winckler/macvim/LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim...)
      > - Extract it
      > - Copy the MacVim file to your Applications folder
      > - cp the mvim file to /usr/bin
      >
      > That's it, works pretty well for me, also on Snow Leopard.
      >
      > --
      > Cássio Marques
      >

      > On Monday, March 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Yvonne Watkins wrote:
      > > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
      >
      > > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
      >
      > > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
      >
      > > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
      >
      > > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
      > > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
      >
      > > Thanks,
      > > n00b - Yvonne
      >
      > > --
      > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

    • Stanislaw Pusep
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
        Install MacPorts: http://www.macports.org/install.php
        Then do "sudo port install MacVim +cscope +huge +perl +python +ruby +tcl" to install the full version.

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
          On Mar 19, 2:35 pm, Yvonne Watkins <ehr...@...> wrote:
          > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
          >
          > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
          >
          > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
          >
          > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
          >
          > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
          > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > n00b - Yvonne

          Maybe your download was corrupted.

          Go here:
          <https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads>

          Download:
          MacVim-snapshot-64-SL.tbz

          Once xpanded it should contain:
          mvim
          MacVim
          README.txt

          Copy MacVim to your Applications folder.

          It works great here, 10.6.8

          Bill

        • Andrew Stewart
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
            On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
            > vim='mvim -v'

            How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.

            Thanks in advance,

            Andy Stewart
            ----
            http://airbladesoftware.com

          • Phil Dobbin

            • Andrew Stewart
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                > On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:
                >> On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
                >>> vim='mvim -v'
                >>
                >> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
                >
                > It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
                > `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
                > do it.

                Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does, just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

                Cheers,

                Andy Stewart
                ----
                http://airbladesoftware.com

              • Phil Dobbin

                • Andrew Stewart
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                    On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                    > See :help -v

                    Oh, right. Thanks!

                    Cheers,
                    Andy Stewart

                  • Darcy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
                      Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
                      It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
                      to vim.

                      vim='mvim -v'
                      alias vim="${vim}"

                      The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
                      opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
                      the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
                      mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

                      I learned about it here:
                      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

                      Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
                      it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
                      $EDITOR...

                      Darcy

                      On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
                      > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                      >
                      > > See :help -v
                      >
                      > Oh, right.  Thanks!
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Andy Stewart