instructions for installing macvim

  • Yvonne Watkins
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 19, 2012
      I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.

      I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)

      Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.

      Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.

      Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
      Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?

      Thanks,
      n00b - Yvonne

    • Cássio Marques
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
        - Download this file: LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62.tbz
        - Extract it
        - Copy the MacVim file to your Applications folder
        - cp the mvim file to /usr/bin

        That's it, works pretty well for me, also on Snow Leopard.

        --
        Cássio Marques

        On Monday, March 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Yvonne Watkins wrote:

[...]

      • Adimir Colen

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
            I find it easier to use brew.

            1) Install brew. http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

            1.5) To make binaries installed by brew take precedence over other
            binaries on your OS, make sure /usr/local/bin is at the front of your
            path. You can do this by adding this to your bashrc.

            # Move (or Add) /usr/local/bin to the front of the path
            [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && export PATH=$(echo /usr/local/bin:$PATH | sed
            -e 's;:/usr/local/bin;;')

            2) `brew install macvim` from a command line. This installs to `/usr/
            local`. You can keep all of your brew installed formula (aka
            applications) up to date with `brew upgrade` or just upgrade macvim
            with `brew upgrade macvim`.

            3) Create environment variables and aliases for macvim in your bashrc.
            For example:

            vim='mvim -v'
            alias vim="${vim}"
            alias gvim="mvim"
            export EDITOR="${vim} -g --remote-tab-silent"
            export GIT_EDITOR="${vim} -g -f"

            Note: I create the vim environment variable because I use it multiple
            times...
            Note: the terminal version of vim is also included with macvim. It's
            newer than the vim that comes with OS X, and it includes support for
            ruby and python plugins.
            Note: `mvim` is added to /usr/local/bin by brew...

            Darcy

            On Mar 20, 12:07 pm, Cássio Marques <cassio...@...> wrote:
            > - Download this file: LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62.tbz (https://github.com/downloads/b4winckler/macvim/LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim...)
            > - Extract it
            > - Copy the MacVim file to your Applications folder
            > - cp the mvim file to /usr/bin
            >
            > That's it, works pretty well for me, also on Snow Leopard.
            >
            > --
            > Cássio Marques
            >

            > On Monday, March 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Yvonne Watkins wrote:
            > > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
            >
            > > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
            >
            > > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
            >
            > > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
            >
            > > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
            > > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
            >
            > > Thanks,
            > > n00b - Yvonne
            >
            > > --
            > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          • Stanislaw Pusep
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
              Install MacPorts: http://www.macports.org/install.php
              Then do "sudo port install MacVim +cscope +huge +perl +python +ruby +tcl" to install the full version.

            • Bee
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                On Mar 19, 2:35 pm, Yvonne Watkins <ehr...@...> wrote:
                > I'm going to preface this post with: I'm not a complete idiot, just a PC user trying to hop the fence to the mac world.
                >
                > I'm attempting to install MacVim on my Mac (Snow Leopard) I downloaded alexloveltroy-macvim zip file, and then unzipped it, but could not find a package file (*.pkg) within that file. (Normally, for my other mac apps, I have been double clicking a pkg file and then dragging the program icon into the application folder.)
                >
                > Then I tried down loading and untarring the .tar file. No .pkg file in that build either.
                >
                > Then on one of the forums I read that I can just place the macvim.app file in the path and update my path with this new file, and then I could be good to go, but I can't find the macvim.app file either.
                >
                > Can someone please provide the exact location within the build where the pkg file lives?
                > Or please provide more detailed instructions on how to install?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > n00b - Yvonne

                Maybe your download was corrupted.

                Go here:
                <https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads>

                Download:
                MacVim-snapshot-64-SL.tbz

                Once xpanded it should contain:
                mvim
                MacVim
                README.txt

                Copy MacVim to your Applications folder.

                It works great here, 10.6.8

                Bill

              • Andrew Stewart
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                  On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
                  > vim='mvim -v'

                  How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Andy Stewart
                  ----
                  http://airbladesoftware.com

                • Phil Dobbin

                  • Andrew Stewart
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                      On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:29, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                      > On 21/03/2012 08:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:
                      >> On 20 Mar 2012, at 18:21, Darcy wrote:
                      >>> vim='mvim -v'
                      >>
                      >> How does the -v flag work? I can't find it documented in "Starting MacVim" and it's not used in the `mvim` script.
                      >
                      > It aliases console Vim to GUI vim rather than creating a symlink a la
                      > `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` which is the way personally I'd
                      > do it.

                      Thanks for the reply. However I understand what the alias does, just not how it works. Where is the `-v` flag handled?

                      Cheers,

                      Andy Stewart
                      ----
                      http://airbladesoftware.com

                    • Phil Dobbin

                      • Andrew Stewart
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                          On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                          > See :help -v

                          Oh, right. Thanks!

                          Cheers,
                          Andy Stewart

                        • Darcy
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
                            Just to clarify `sudo ln -s $(which gvim) $(which vim)` is different.
                            It does not include the -v option. This just creates a link of gvim
                            to vim.

                            vim='mvim -v'
                            alias vim="${vim}"

                            The -v option for mvim is to open vim inside a terminal rather than
                            opening the usual gui version of macvim. (try it) I like this because
                            the vim that comes with OS X is not compiled with as many options as
                            mvim. And I like to run vim in a terminal...

                            I learned about it here:
                            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2056137/how-to-run-mvim-macvim-from-terminal

                            Creating the vim environment variable is useful because notice I use
                            it for more than just the `alias vim="${vim}". I also use it for
                            $EDITOR...

                            Darcy

                            On Mar 21, 6:03 am, Andrew Stewart <b...@...> wrote:
                            > On 21 Mar 2012, at 10:51, Phil Dobbin wrote:
                            >
                            > > See :help -v
                            >
                            > Oh, right.  Thanks!
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Andy Stewart