MacVim hanging on open file in new tab

  • Kevin Burke
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2012
      I haven't been able to reproduce this consistently, but I get a
      behavior where opening a file in a new tab in MacVim fails. I started
      seeing this error maybe beginning about a week ago.

      Generally it happens after a terminal has been open for a while and I
      open a new tab, then try to load a file in the buffer with `:e`. The
      screen becomes unresponsive and does not respond to key commands.
      There is nothing on the screen when this happens. I can still open/
      close the Macvim menus. Trying to close the window via the menu does
      nothing; I have to quit the app and restart.

      Here is a stack trace of the last 15 seconds or so before the hang:
      http://paste.pocoo.org/show/568246/ After the freeze the logging to
      terminal just stopped and the terminal prompt appeared again.

      Here are some possible culprits, ordered by how likely I think they
      are:

      - 3rd party plugins, including syntastic and rainbow highlights.
      - my .vimrc file. I tried putting echo's in to see if it was failing
      mid-load, but the .vimrc file loads fine. Also, the freeze only
      happens when I load the 3rd or 4th file into a buffer, and the vimrc
      doesn't look like it's running again.
      - using zsh. I'm not sure what about zsh would cause the freeze but
      it's possible.
      - editing files across a symbolic link
      - downloading Snow Leopard updates - currently running 10.6.8 with
      version 53 of MacVim.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2012
        On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Kevin Burke wrote:
        > I haven't been able to reproduce this consistently, but I get a
        > behavior where opening a file in a new tab in MacVim fails. I started
        > seeing this error maybe beginning about a week ago.
        >
        > Generally it happens after a terminal has been open for a while and I
        > open a new tab, then try to load a file in the buffer with `:e`. The
        > screen becomes unresponsive and does not respond to key commands.
        > There is nothing on the screen when this happens. I can still open/
        > close the Macvim menus. Trying to close the window via the menu does
        > nothing; I have to quit the app and restart.
        >
        > Here is a stack trace of the last 15 seconds or so before the hang:
        > http://paste.pocoo.org/show/568246/ After the freeze the logging to
        > terminal just stopped and the terminal prompt appeared again.
        >
        > Here are some possible culprits, ordered by how likely I think they
        > are:
        >
        > - 3rd party plugins, including syntastic and rainbow highlights.
        > - my .vimrc file. I tried putting echo's in to see if it was failing
        > mid-load, but the .vimrc file loads fine. Also, the freeze only
        > happens when I load the 3rd or 4th file into a buffer, and the vimrc
        > doesn't look like it's running again.
        > - using zsh. I'm not sure what about zsh would cause the freeze but
        > it's possible.
        > - editing files across a symbolic link
        > - downloading Snow Leopard updates - currently running 10.6.8 with
        > version 53 of MacVim.

        First of all you should try the latest snapshot and see if you run
        into the same problems. The Snow Leopard snapshot is provided by Alex
        Lovell-Troy:

        https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads

        Failing that I'd suggest you start by disabling all your plugins and
        then re-enabling them one at a time until you find out which one is
        causing you grief (assuming the freeze doesn't happen with no
        plugins).