MacVim and R plugin

  • Federico Calboli
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012

      I am using MacVim (the latest Lion version, on the latest Lion) and I
      am using this plugin:

      http://www.lepem.ufc.br/jaa/vim-r-plugin.html

      which works, but might work better. In iTem2 calling \rf creates an
      instance of R in the same window (thanks to screen and tmux I guess),
      while in MacVim \rf opens an instance of R.app. I'd like to have my
      vim generate R session in the same vim window (like I get for vim in a
      shell)... Is there any way of achieving this (http://www.lepem.ufc.br/
      jaa/vim-r-plugin_object_browser_2.png) in MacVim?

      BW

    • Sylvain Soliman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012

        * Federico Calboli <f.calboli@...>:
        > I am using MacVim (the latest Lion version, on the latest Lion) and I
        > am using this plugin:

        > http://www.lepem.ufc.br/jaa/vim-r-plugin.html
        >
        > which works, but might work better. In iTem2 calling \rf creates an
        > instance of R in the same window (thanks to screen and tmux I guess),
        > while in MacVim \rf opens an instance of R.app. I'd like to have my
        > vim generate R session in the same vim window (like I get for vim in a
        > shell)... Is there any way of achieving this (http://www.lepem.ufc.br/
        > jaa/vim-r-plugin_object_browser_2.png) in MacVim?

        I'm neither on Lion nor using R but what you want seems pretty close to
        what ConqueTerm provides.

        :ConqueTermSplit <whatever command launches R>

        If you need to 'send' content from your file to the R session you will
        probably need to remap the default ConqueTerm keys...

        [I use ConqueTerm a lot, mainly with (i)python or bash sessions, it is not
        bug-free but often good enough]

        HTH

        Sylvain

        --
        Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
        Page personnelle http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012
          On Mar 14, 2:28 pm, Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soli...@...> wrote:
          > I'm neither on Lion nor using R but what you want seems pretty close to
          > what ConqueTerm provides.
          >
          > :ConqueTermSplit <whatever command launches R>
          >
          > If you need to 'send' content from your file to the R session you will
          > probably need to remap the default ConqueTerm keys...
          >
          > [I use ConqueTerm a lot, mainly with (i)python or bash sessions, it is not
          > bug-free but often good enough]

          that helps a lot BUT does not technically work, because if I send a
          line of of R code from Vim to R, it does not send it to the R session
          opened by Conque Shell, but still to the R.app...

        • Sylvain Soliman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012
            * Federico Calboli <f.calboli@...>:
            > that helps a lot BUT does not technically work, because if I send a
            > line of of R code from Vim to R, it does not send it to the R session
            > opened by Conque Shell, but still to the R.app...

            Well, that's because you now need to replace the mappings of the R plugin
            with corresponding ones in Conque.

            If it is enough for you, Conque already defines a command to send the
            visual selection (you can remap ConqueTerm_SendVisKey), otherwise you can
            use the conque_term#send_selected() and
            conque_term#get_instance().write() functions in more complex mappings...

            You might also probably get some help from the R plugin designer.

            Best,

            Sylvain