Re: ack.vim problem

  • Andrew Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
      On 7 Mar 2012, at 09:44, Barrie Stott wrote:
      > I downloaded and installed ack.vim and consistently get messages like the following from MacVim. For example, when trying to use it to find occurrences of the word 'Mail' in the current directory by typing ':Ack mail':
      >
      > E492: Not an editor command: Ack mail

      Where did you install ack.vim?

      Yours,
      Andy Stewart
      -------
      http://airbladesoftware.com

    • Barrie Stott
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
        On 7 Mar 2012, at 08:49, Andrew Stewart wrote:

        > On 7 Mar 2012, at 09:44, Barrie Stott wrote:
        >> I downloaded and installed ack.vim and consistently get messages like the following from MacVim. For example, when trying to use it to find occurrences of the word 'Mail' in the current directory by typing ':Ack mail':
        >>
        >> E492: Not an editor command: Ack mail
        >
        > Where did you install ack.vim?

        I installed the code in ~/.vim/plugin and documentation in ~/.vim/doc. It came as a .tar.gz file so all I had to do was move it to ~/.vim and use 'tar zxvf ack.tar.gz from that directory.

        Barrie.

      • Andrew Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
          On 7 Mar 2012, at 09:55, Barrie Stott wrote:
          > I installed the code in ~/.vim/plugin and documentation in ~/.vim/doc. It came as a .tar.gz file so all I had to do was move it to ~/.vim and use 'tar zxvf ack.tar.gz from that directory.

          Hmm, that's where my ack.vim is installed and ':Ack mail' works as expected.

          If you type ':scriptnames' do you see ack.vim in the list?

          Yours,
          Andy

        • Barrie Stott
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
            On 7 Mar 2012, at 09:19, Andrew Stewart wrote:

            > On 7 Mar 2012, at 09:55, Barrie Stott wrote:
            >> I installed the code in ~/.vim/plugin and documentation in ~/.vim/doc. It came as a .tar.gz file so all I had to do was move it to ~/.vim and use 'tar zxvf ack.tar.gz from that directory.
            >
            > Hmm, that's where my ack.vim is installed and ':Ack mail' works as expected.
            >
            > If you type ':scriptnames' do you see ack.vim in the list?

            No! But I did see, among others, everything in ~/.vim/plugin except ack.vim.

            I started a new occurrence of MacVim and things started to do more sensible things. I'm extremely grateful since now I can see how well I like it. I'd never come across :scriptnames before but I'll make a note of it for the future.

            Thanks agin for your help. No reply needed.

            Barrie.

          • GomathiNayagam S
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27 8:44 AM
              ack.vim is an interface to ack library, you have to first install the ack library from ack site, like for ubuntu "apt-get install ack-grep"