Re: --remote-tab-silent working with "+" on the command-line?

  • Phil Dobbin

      On 29/02/2012 18:54, björn wrote:
      > On 28 February 2012 20:05, Drew wrote:
      >> I would like to always open files in tabs in mvim so I am using --
      >> remote-tab-silent. I would also, on occasion I would also like to jump
      >> to a certain line number in that file.
      >>
      >> When I use this command, it actually opens a buffer for "+" and
      >> "somefile" in a split window:
      >> mvim --remote-tab-silent somefile +
      >>
      >> When I move the "+", it just gets ignored and it just opens the file
      >> at line 1:
      >> mvim + --remote-tab-silent somefile
      >>
      >> Is there a way to force the file to open in a new tab, and specify
      >> what line to jump to?
      >
      > Hmmm....I can't get + to work with --remote either and I don't
      > actually know if it is supposed to work (has anybody got access to
      > win/linux to test?).
      >
      > Take a look at ":h remote" though; it mentions that you can pass
      > commands with --remote by putting a + in front of it. Something like
      > this should serve your purposes:
      >
      > mvim --remote-tab-silent +999 filename
      >
      > (This will put the cursor on line 999 [or the last line if the file is
      > shorter than that] -- you can't leave the number out to go to the last
      > line however.)

      on gvim (Debian Squeeze 6.0.4), `mvim --remote-tab-silent +999 filename`
      opens gvim with `filename` at line 999 (this particular file is 1238
      lines long) but in its normal window instead of a new tab (this could be
      something to do with NERDTree being set to open on startup though).

      Specifiying anything more than 999 gets an `E16: Invalid range`.

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      - --
      But masters, remember that I am an ass.