Why MacVim?

  • John Hinnegan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2012
      Maybe there's a good page you can point me to?

      Basically, I've been developing software on my MacBook pro for a couple of years now. Heavy terminal user. Heavy Vi(m) user. I have a fairly extensive vimrc as well as a few plugins (various autocompletes, NERDTree, etc) set up and configured. I'm happy with my setup, but always interested in improving. Is MacVim much better? Do I risk breaking my existing configurations? Any reason not to switch?

      Also, if I install it, does it overwrite existing Vi/Vim links on my system with symlinks to itself?

    • Janusz Bossy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
        On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:02 AM, John Hinnegan <john.hinnegan@...> wrote:
        > Maybe there's a good page you can point me to?

        I don't know about any pages that might explain this but I'm using
        MacVim for a couple reasons:
        1. Beautiful ColorSchemes - you can forget the 256 color terminal :)
        2. Fullscreen support.
        3. Mouse support out-of-the-box.
        4. If you're not familiar with Vim you can work using the application menu.

        > Do I risk breaking my existing configurations? Any
        > reason not to switch?

        You do not risk anything. MacVim is installed as a separate app and
        all your plugins should be working perfectly.

        > Also, if I install it, does it overwrite existing Vi/Vim links on my system
        > with symlinks to itself?

        Nothing gets overwritten - you can always switch back to "normal" Vim :)

        --
        Janusz Bossy

      • Frank Hellenkamp
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
          And also:

          > I don't know about any pages that might explain this but I'm using
          > MacVim for a couple reasons:
          > 1. Beautiful ColorSchemes - you can forget the 256 color terminal :)
          > 2. Fullscreen support.
          > 3. Mouse support out-of-the-box.
          > 4. If you're not familiar with Vim you can work using the application menu.

          5. Multiple Windows (not vim windows) under one App
          6. Native movable tabs
          7. Has some standard mac-mappings (⌘Z, ⌘C, ⌘V, ⌘A, ⌘G, etc.)
          8. You can map the Command-Key with <D-key> without problems

          Best

          Frank

          --
          frank hellenkamp | interface designer
          solmsstraße 7 | 10961 berlin

          +49.30.49 78 20 70 | tel
          +49.176.32 13 88 89 | mbl
          +49.3212.100 35 22 | fax
          skype:jonas__jonas | skype
          jonas@...

          http://depage.net | bureau
          http://depagecms.net | content management
          http://immerdasgleiche.de | read
          http://everydayisexactlythesame.net | see
          http://ideenkonserve.de | ideas
        • Phil Dobbin

          • Keyan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
              my main reason was, that about 4 years ago, i simply couldn't compile a gvim on mac :)

              cheers,
              keyan

              On 28 Feb 2012, at 11:39, Frank Hellenkamp wrote:

              > And also:
              >
              >> I don't know about any pages that might explain this but I'm using
              >> MacVim for a couple reasons:
              >> 1. Beautiful ColorSchemes - you can forget the 256 color terminal :)
              >> 2. Fullscreen support.
              >> 3. Mouse support out-of-the-box.
              >> 4. If you're not familiar with Vim you can work using the application menu.
              >

              > 5. Multiple Windows (not vim windows) under one App
              > 6. Native movable tabs
              > 7. Has some standard mac-mappings (⌘Z, ⌘C, ⌘V, ⌘A, ⌘G, etc.)
              > 8. You can map the Command-Key with <D-key> without problems
              >

              > Best
              >
              > Frank
              >
              > --
              > frank hellenkamp | interface designer
              > solmsstraße 7 | 10961 berlin
              >
              > +49.30.49 78 20 70 | tel
              > +49.176.32 13 88 89 | mbl
              > +49.3212.100 35 22 | fax
              > skype:jonas__jonas | skype
              > jonas@...
              >
              > http://depage.net | bureau
              > http://depagecms.net | content management
              > http://immerdasgleiche.de | read
              > http://everydayisexactlythesame.net | see
              > http://ideenkonserve.de | ideas

            • Tim Gray
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
                On Feb 27, 2012 at 09:02 PM -0800, John Hinnegan wrote:
                >Maybe there's a good page you can point me to?

                I mainly use MacVim over console vim because of the ability to double
                click files in the OS and have them open in my editor, as well as other
                OS integrations features. Things like Quick Cursor, which let me pop
                open the contents of any text form in MacVim (useful for editing long
                posts in Safari for example). However, I have my vim setup so if I need
                to use console vim, it works pretty much the same, minus the OS
                integration stuff. I use the same vimrc on linux computers too.

                Try it out, see if you like it. As others stated, it doesn't overwrite
                or preclude your ability to use vim in a terminal. In fact, I use mutt
                as my mail client and write all mails (including this one) in console
                vim.

              • Hisashi T Fujinaka
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
                  On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Tim Gray wrote:

                  > On Feb 27, 2012 at 09:02 PM -0800, John Hinnegan wrote:
                  >> Maybe there's a good page you can point me to?
                  >
                  > I mainly use MacVim over console vim because of the ability to double click
                  > files in the OS and have them open in my editor, as well as other OS
                  > integrations features. Things like Quick Cursor, which let me pop open the
                  > contents of any text form in MacVim (useful for editing long posts in Safari
                  > for example). However, I have my vim setup so if I need to use console vim,
                  > it works pretty much the same, minus the OS integration stuff. I use the
                  > same vimrc on linux computers too.
                  >
                  > Try it out, see if you like it. As others stated, it doesn't overwrite or
                  > preclude your ability to use vim in a terminal. In fact, I use mutt as my
                  > mail client and write all mails (including this one) in console vim.

                  I'm the fink maintainer for vim and I use a command-line version more
                  often than MacVim, but I still have it around for right-click-opening
                  documents.

                  --
                  Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@...