Re: Gui ColorSchemes not applying properly

  • Phil Dobbin

      On 24/02/2012 13:53, blewisjr wrote:

      > This is really weird. First and foremost I use the xoria256 color
      > scheme. In my .vimrc have the scheme set to start up the xoria256
      > color scheme.
      >
      > If I load macvim in the terminal with mvim -v the color scheme loads
      > up and everything is perfect.
      > However if I launch with just mvim the color scheme is applied but all
      > the keywords don't color correctly or at all.
      >
      > I tried numerous color schemes like desert and elf lord and they all
      > do the same thing. When launched in the terminal they behave properly
      > but when launched in the GUI they miss certain highlights on keywords
      > but not all highlights. For instance in the terminal xoria256
      > highlights django templates perfectly but in the guy it misses all the
      > django template keywords. (Yes I changed to filetype to htmldjango
      > instead of just plain html)
      >
      > I am using Snapshot64 installed via homebrew.
      >
      > I just don't understand why the terminal launch would be perfect but
      > the gui all messed up.

      You could try downloading the source tarball of snapshot 64 & compiling
      it to rule out homebrew as one potential cause (have never used homebrew
      so I don't have any experience with it).

      Also try disabling all plugins & launching MacVim to see if there's a
      conflict there.

      & posting your vimrc & gvimrc would help fellow listees to try to debug.

      It is strange. It's usually the other way 'round; colours are usually a
      problem in the console not the GUI.

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      - --
      But masters, remember that I am an ass.
      Though it be not written down,
      yet forget not that I am an ass.

    • blewisjr
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
        My .vimrc and .gvimrc contained nothing more then the basic config
        from the vim wiki which is just some small tweaks to searching,
        nocompatible, syntax on, and a few extra mappings.

        I am not sure why the terminal works fine but through some further
        testing I think the issue is with the actual xoria256 color scheme and
        the way MacVim actually sets the GUI. I know the scheme works fine in
        gVim.

        I came to this conclusion by disabling xoria256 in the .gvimrc/.vimrc
        and allowing MacVim to load with the default color scheme.
        I then used :colorscheme to change to desert, elflord and other built
        in schemes and everything worked as expected. I then did
        a :colorscheme to enable xoria256 and the keywords were not
        highlighted properly and then changing to the other default color
        schemes the highlighting continued to be broken in those as well.
        Then I restarted macvim and everything was fine again till xoria256
        was manually loaded.

        After this I would assume that xoria256 does something that MacVim
        does not like. Not sure why because my assumptions were that MacVim
        was vim only under a cocoa GUI.

        On Feb 24, 8:22 pm, Phil Dobbin <phildob...@...> wrote:

        > On 24/02/2012 13:53, blewisjr wrote:
        >

        > > This is really weird.  First and foremost I use the xoria256 color
        > > scheme.  In my .vimrc have the scheme set to start up the xoria256
        > > color scheme.
        >
        > > If I load macvim in the terminal with mvim -v the color scheme loads
        > > up and everything is perfect.
        > > However if I launch with just mvim the color scheme is applied but all
        > > the keywords don't color correctly or at all.
        >
        > > I tried numerous color schemes like desert and elf lord and they all
        > > do the same thing.  When launched in the terminal they behave properly
        > > but when launched in the GUI they miss certain highlights on keywords
        > > but not all highlights.  For instance in the terminal xoria256
        > > highlights django templates perfectly but in the guy it misses all the
        > > django template keywords.  (Yes I changed to filetype to htmldjango
        > > instead of just plain html)
        >
        > > I am using Snapshot64 installed via homebrew.
        >
        > > I just don't understand why the terminal launch would be perfect but
        > > the gui all messed up.
        >
        > You could try downloading the source tarball of snapshot 64 & compiling
        > it to rule out homebrew as one potential cause (have never used homebrew
        > so I don't have any experience with it).
        >
        > Also try disabling all plugins & launching MacVim to see if there's a
        > conflict there.
        >
        > & posting your vimrc & gvimrc would help fellow listees to try to debug.
        >
        > It is strange. It's usually the other way 'round; colours are usually a
        > problem in the console not the GUI.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        >   Phil...
        >
        > - --
        > But masters, remember that I am an ass.
        > Though it be not written down,
        > yet forget not that I am an ass.
        >
        >         Wm. Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing

      • Phil Dobbin

          On 25/02/2012 16:30, blewisjr wrote:

          > My .vimrc and .gvimrc contained nothing more then the basic config
          > from the vim wiki which is just some small tweaks to searching,
          > nocompatible, syntax on, and a few extra mappings.
          >
          > I am not sure why the terminal works fine but through some further
          > testing I think the issue is with the actual xoria256 color scheme
          > and the way MacVim actually sets the GUI. I know the scheme works
          > fine in gVim.
          >
          > I came to this conclusion by disabling xoria256 in the
          > .gvimrc/.vimrc and allowing MacVim to load with the default color
          > scheme. I then used :colorscheme to change to desert, elflord and
          > other built in schemes and everything worked as expected. I then
          > did a :colorscheme to enable xoria256 and the keywords were not
          > highlighted properly and then changing to the other default color
          > schemes the highlighting continued to be broken in those as well.
          > Then I restarted macvim and everything was fine again till
          > xoria256 was manually loaded.
          >
          > After this I would assume that xoria256 does something that MacVim
          > does not like. Not sure why because my assumptions were that
          > MacVim was vim only under a cocoa GUI.

          I suggest you contact the author of the colorscheme so he can debug it
          or at the very least append a codicil to the download highlighting (no
          pun intended) the anomaly of using it with MacVim.

          Cheers,

          Phil...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2012
            I have done some digging in the actual xoria256.vim file and found
            that the author was only coloring Django templates in the actual
            terminal and ignoring the GUI. So I forked the scheme on github and
            made the changes if anyone is interested or having similar issues.

            https://github.com/blewisjr/xoria256.vim

            I still did not find what is causing the bug of it breaking all the
            other color schemes yet but I will be looking into it it further so
            hopefully I can fix the issue.