key mapping help

  • retiredff
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
      From macvim help, and other posts and example .vimrc files I have examined,
      the following should work:

      "toggle list - this works, not in insert mode
      map <F1> :set nolist!<CR>

      "this should work in insert mode but does not
      imap <F1> <ESC> :set nolist!<CR>

      "nor does this
      map! <F1> :set nolist!<CR>

      when I press F1, I see displayed on the screen "<F1>".

      what am I doing wrong to catch insert mode keys?

      Thanks

      TonyB

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
        On Feb 18, 7:40 am, retiredff <retire...@...> wrote:
        > From macvim help, and other posts and example .vimrc files I have examined,
        > the following should work:
        >
        > "toggle list - this works, not in insert mode
        > map <F1> :set nolist!<CR>
        >
        > "this should work in insert mode but does not
        > imap <F1> <ESC> :set nolist!<CR>
        >
        > "nor does this
        > map! <F1> :set nolist!<CR>
        >
        > when I press F1, I see displayed on the screen "<F1>".
        >
        > what am I doing wrong to catch insert mode keys?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > TonyB
        >
        > --

        Try removing the space after <esc>:

        imap <F1> <ESC>:set nolist!<CR>

        --OR-- better and not leaving insert mode:

        imap <F12> <c-o>:set list!<cr>

        Bill

      • retiredff
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2012
          Bill,

          I tried imap <F7> <c-o>:set nolist!<CR>
          and <esc> instead of <c-o>

          both seem to work, but, if the cursor is on a blank line when I press F7 I
          see "7" then it disappears. I also see on the same row as --INSERT-- right
          justified "<80>k7". I have not noticed this before. normal?

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2012
            On Feb 19, 3:22 am, retiredff <retire...@...> wrote:
            > Bill,
            >
            > I tried imap <F7> <c-o>:set nolist!<CR>
            > and <esc> instead of <c-o>
            >
            > both seem to work, but, if the cursor is on a blank line when I press F7 I
            > see "7" then it disappears. I also see on the same row as --INSERT-- right
            > justified "<80>k7". I have not noticed this before. normal?
            >
            > --

            I can not reproduce the problem if on a blank line.

            :help <silent>

            This is in my .vimrc:

            " toggle invisibles
            nmap <silent> <F1> :setlocal list!<cr>
            imap <F1> <C-O><F1>
            vmap <F1> <Esc><F1>gv

            Bill

          • retiredff
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2012
              Bill,

              Since my last reply, I shut down MacVim and had to reboot my DSL modem and
              my computer. The problems has disappeared. Don't know why.

              Thanks for the reply's

              Tony