Re: not working with Dvorak-Qwerty layout

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2012
      On Feb 11, 11:18 am, Jason Garber <j...@...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone. I need your help figuring out a key mapping issue. I use
      > the Dvorak-Qwerty (Dvorak for typing and Ctrl/Shift/Alt, but Cmd
      > shortcuts are QWERTY) layout in OS X and have used regular vim in the
      > terminal for years. I don't use a keymap or anything; hjkl are spread
      > out over the keyboard. All this works fine in MacVim as it did in vim:
      > <Ctrl-f>, <Ctrl-b>, <Ctrl-u>, and <Ctrl-d> take me forward, back, up
      > and down.
      >
      > <Ctrl-w> and <Ctrl-v> don't work though. In MacVim they are located
      > where you would find them on QWERTY. In the terminal (mvim -v) they
      > work fine, like I'm used to. Also, when I switch OS X to the Dvorak
      > layout, they work fine in MacVim.
      >
      > Anyone have some insight into this? I suppose for the time being I'll
      > just need to figure out which ones are broken and remap them, like map
      > <C-w> <C-,>

      This would require you to hit whatever makes your keyboard generate
      Ctrl-W in order to get Ctrl-, (which, BTW, is not defined) so there
      are two reasons why it wouldn't work.

      I suggest that you choose some F key (these, IIUC, are in the same
      location on Dvorak and QWERTY keyboards) and map it to the Ctrl-W key,
      as follows:

      :map <F9> <C-W>
      :map! <F9> <C-W>

      I used a similar mapping when I didn't know what key combination would
      generate Ctrl-] on my keyboard (and now that I do know, I've kept the
      mapping because that “native” key combo is difficult to produce).