not working with Dvorak-Qwerty layout

  • Jason Garber
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hi everyone. I need your help figuring out a key mapping issue. I use
      the Dvorak-Qwerty (Dvorak for typing and Ctrl/Shift/Alt, but Cmd
      shortcuts are QWERTY) layout in OS X and have used regular vim in the
      terminal for years. I don't use a keymap or anything; hjkl are spread
      out over the keyboard. All this works fine in MacVim as it did in vim:
      <Ctrl-f>, <Ctrl-b>, <Ctrl-u>, and <Ctrl-d> take me forward, back, up
      and down.

      <Ctrl-w> and <Ctrl-v> don't work though. In MacVim they are located
      where you would find them on QWERTY. In the terminal (mvim -v) they
      work fine, like I'm used to. Also, when I switch OS X to the Dvorak
      layout, they work fine in MacVim.

      Anyone have some insight into this? I suppose for the time being I'll
      just need to figure out which ones are broken and remap them, like map
      <C-w> <C-,>

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2012
        On Feb 11, 11:18 am, Jason Garber <j...@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone. I need your help figuring out a key mapping issue. I use
        > the Dvorak-Qwerty (Dvorak for typing and Ctrl/Shift/Alt, but Cmd
        > shortcuts are QWERTY) layout in OS X and have used regular vim in the
        > terminal for years. I don't use a keymap or anything; hjkl are spread
        > out over the keyboard. All this works fine in MacVim as it did in vim:
        > <Ctrl-f>, <Ctrl-b>, <Ctrl-u>, and <Ctrl-d> take me forward, back, up
        > and down.
        >
        > <Ctrl-w> and <Ctrl-v> don't work though. In MacVim they are located
        > where you would find them on QWERTY. In the terminal (mvim -v) they
        > work fine, like I'm used to. Also, when I switch OS X to the Dvorak
        > layout, they work fine in MacVim.
        >
        > Anyone have some insight into this? I suppose for the time being I'll
        > just need to figure out which ones are broken and remap them, like map
        > <C-w> <C-,>

        This would require you to hit whatever makes your keyboard generate
        Ctrl-W in order to get Ctrl-, (which, BTW, is not defined) so there
        are two reasons why it wouldn't work.

        I suggest that you choose some F key (these, IIUC, are in the same
        location on Dvorak and QWERTY keyboards) and map it to the Ctrl-W key,
        as follows:

        :map <F9> <C-W>
        :map! <F9> <C-W>

        I used a similar mapping when I didn't know what key combination would
        generate Ctrl-] on my keyboard (and now that I do know, I've kept the
        mapping because that “native” key combo is difficult to produce).