Re: "New Window" does nothing (LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62 on 10.6.8)

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
      On 3 February 2012 09:14, David Stark wrote:
      > I'm running MacVim (LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62) on my 10.6.8
      > MBP. I'm unable to get a window to appear: the "New Window" menu item
      > doesn't do anything, and "Open" lets me select a file, but then fails
      > to display the file. Any pointers?

      Have you by any chance replaced the system Python or any other library?

      What happens if you try starting from Terminal? (You can also check
      to see if there are any errors being logged to console by opening
      Console.app.)

    • Zarkonnen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
        On 5 Feb 2012, at 19:29, björn wrote:

        > On 3 February 2012 09:14, David Stark wrote:
        >> I'm running MacVim (LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62) on my 10.6.8
        >> MBP. I'm unable to get a window to appear: the "New Window" menu item
        >> doesn't do anything, and "Open" lets me select a file, but then fails
        >> to display the file. Any pointers?
        >
        > Have you by any chance replaced the system Python or any other library?
        >
        > What happens if you try starting from Terminal? (You can also check
        > to see if there are any errors being logged to console by opening
        > Console.app.)
        >
        > Björn

        Turns out that it's indeed due to a messed-up Python install. Thank you for the advice! Another reason to finally get around to reinstalling the OS.

        - David

      • Zarkonnen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
          On 4 Feb 2012, at 18:09, Bee wrote:

          > On Feb 3, 12:14 am, David Stark <zarkon...@...> wrote:
          >> I'm running MacVim (LEGACY-OSX-10_6-MacVim-snapshot-62) on my 10.6.8
          >> MBP. I'm unable to get a window to appear: the "New Window" menu item
          >> doesn't do anything, and "Open" lets me select a file, but then fails
          >> to display the file. Any pointers?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> - David Stark
          >
          > On this list is a topic <MacVim - Snapshot 64>
          >
          > <http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/
          > 75d58deb00659e51#>
          >
          > I have used this snapshot and it works well.
          >
          > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/
          > macvim/downloads&usg=AFQjCNHf4Jn7n05LQzt1KYhBHbVxTZ3wow>
          >
          > Is it possible for you to try that version?
          >
          > -Bill

          Having tried that, I'm afraid it doesn't work either - but it seems that the underlying cause is the messed-up state of Python on my machine. Thanks for the help!

          - David