Re: switching between windows in different spaces with the keyboard

  • David Sanson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2012
      On Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:37:33 PM UTC-5, björn wrote:

      I had a look at this and it turns out that it sort of already works to
      cycle through windows in native full-screen.  The catch is that it
      only works if you cycle to another window once before entering
      full-screen.

      Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying that you can cycle between MacVim windows in different spaces in the usual way, i.e., CMD-`? I can't get even this to work in MacVim (or any other program I've tried, including Terminal.app), and that seems to be independent of whether or not any of the windows are fullscreen. So I was inferring that the problem was that (a) cycling between windows in different spaces doesn't work in Lion (except via the icon clicking trick); (b) a native fullscreen window is in its own space; (c) the dock isn't available in fullscreen, so the clicking trick isn't available either. But it sounds like you are saying that (a) is wrong, or only true for you in certain circumstances?

      It almost seems like a bug in Lion: if I enter and immediately exit
      full-screen, then it is no longer possible to cycle to another window
      (even though I'm out of full-screen).

      Okay. Yes, I've noticed this too, and it does seem like a bug. But I wasn't able to replicate it in Terminal.app or Chrome.app, so I'm not sure it is a Lion bug.

      If I click on another (MacVim-)
      window when the current window is in this state, then I can cycle back
      and everything works (even in full-screen).

      I can replicate everything about this except the "even in full-screen" bit. What once again works for me, after I click on another MacVim window is cycling between windows within the current space.

      I've tried to work around this bug by setting
      NSWindowCollectionBehaviorPart icipatesInCycle at various places in the
      code, but no luck so far.  Not really sure what to do about it, but it
      seems that some hack is in order to get this working.

      I'll let this rest and ask that somebody else takes a look at it.

      Sounds reasonable. At this point, I am wondering if I have some system wide setting that is blocking cycling through windows in different spaces in all my applications, and is unrelated to the apparent bug you describe above.

      I should mention I am running MacVim built using homebrew, from commit 9fbcbadb0, dating back to January 10th.

      David

    • David Sanson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2012
        On Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:41:44 PM UTC-5, Xiao G. Wu wrote:

        It would be really nice if we could implement it like how the Mac terminal App works. Command-`

        That should already work. If not, add something like

           map <D-`> :maca _cycleWindows:<CR>
           map <D-~> :maca _cycleWindowsBackwards:<CR>

        to your .gvimrc, and you should be good to go. For more information, search the list for `_cycleWindows`. You'll find that some issues arise depending on your keyboard layout.

        David