Recovering an older vimrc from backup

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012

      I'd like to use Time Machine to retrieve an older .vimrc, but I don't see any way to get Finder to show dot files. Is there a way?

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir

      "The invincible shield of caring
      Is a weapon sent from the sky
      against being dead."

      - Tao Te Ching 67

    • Frank Hellenkamp
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012

        > I'd like to use Time Machine to retrieve an older .vimrc, but I don't see any way to get Finder to show dot files. Is there a way?

        Yes there is - you can use "tmutil" from the command line:

        tmutil restore -v /Volumes/path-to-timemachine-backup/Users/username/.vimrc ~/vimrc

        whereas "path-to-timemachine-backup" is the whole path including the date you want to restore from.

        The syntax of the "tmutil restore" follows the cp-command, so you can add a couple of source files and restore it to the last parameter, which is the target.

        I hope this helps.

        Frank

        --
        frank hellenkamp | interface designer
        solmsstra├če 7 | 10961 berlin

        +49.30.49 78 20 70 | tel
        +49.176.32 13 88 89 | mbl
        +49.3212.100 35 22 | fax
        jonas@...

        http://depage.net | bureau
        http://depagecms.net | content management
        http://immerdasgleiche.de | read
        http://everydayisexactlythesame.net | see
        http://ideenkonserve.de | ideas
      • Frank Hellenkamp
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012
          Hi Eric,

          *ah*
          And I forgot something...

          >> I'd like to use Time Machine to retrieve an older .vimrc, but I don't see any way to get Finder to show dot files. Is there a way?
          >
          > Yes there is - you can use "tmutil" from the command line:
          >
          > tmutil restore -v /Volumes/path-to-timemachine-backup/Users/username/.vimrc ~/vimrc

          DON'T just copy the files with "cp", because then the extended-attributes that timemachine uses will be copied along so you won't be able to edit these files without removing these attributes and permissions first.

          Best

          Frank