Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

  • MMak
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
      Björn Winckler wrote

      > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
      >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
      >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
      >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
      >> is
      >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
      >> as
      >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
      >
      > Take a look at
      >
      > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
      >
      > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
      > about the layout of the source code.
      >
      > Björn
      >
      > --

      Björn Winckler wrote

      > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
      >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
      >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
      >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
      >> is
      >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
      >> as
      >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
      >
      > Take a look at
      >
      > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
      >
      > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
      > about the layout of the source code.
      >
      > Björn
      >
      > --

      Björn Winckler wrote

      > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
      >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
      >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
      >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
      >> is
      >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
      >> as
      >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
      >
      > Take a look at
      >
      > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
      >
      > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
      > about the layout of the source code.
      >
      > Björn
      >
      > --

      Thanks, I am reading it, it seems helpful to me!

    • MMak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
        How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

      • MMak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
          Björn Winckler wrote

          > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
          >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
          >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
          >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
          >> is
          >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
          >> as
          >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
          >
          > Take a look at
          >
          > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
          >
          > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
          > about the layout of the source code.
          >
          > Björn
          >
          > --

          Are you the author of MacVim, awesome! Well done.

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
            On Jan 1, 2012, at 5:49 AM, MMak wrote:

            > How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

            I thought it *was* Vim on Mac OS X--unless you're running some other Vim on Mac OS X.

            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA
            eeweir@...

            "A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
            than it is for other people."

            - Thomas Mann