Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
      On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
      > "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
      > back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
      > stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
      > running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
      > it do like in Windows and Linux?

      Take a look at

      https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

      It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
      about the layout of the source code.

    • MMak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
        Björn Winckler wrote

        > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
        >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
        >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
        >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
        >> is
        >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
        >> as
        >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
        >
        > Take a look at
        >
        > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
        >
        > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
        > about the layout of the source code.
        >
        > Björn
        >
        > --

        Björn Winckler wrote

        > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
        >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
        >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
        >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
        >> is
        >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
        >> as
        >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
        >
        > Take a look at
        >
        > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
        >
        > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
        > about the layout of the source code.
        >
        > Björn
        >
        > --

        Björn Winckler wrote

        > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
        >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
        >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
        >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
        >> is
        >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
        >> as
        >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
        >
        > Take a look at
        >
        > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
        >
        > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
        > about the layout of the source code.
        >
        > Björn
        >
        > --

        Thanks, I am reading it, it seems helpful to me!

      • MMak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
          How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

        • MMak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
            Björn Winckler wrote

            > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
            >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
            >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
            >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
            >> is
            >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
            >> as
            >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
            >
            > Take a look at
            >
            > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
            >
            > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
            > about the layout of the source code.
            >
            > Björn
            >
            > --

            Are you the author of MacVim, awesome! Well done.

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
              On Jan 1, 2012, at 5:49 AM, MMak wrote:

              > How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

              I thought it *was* Vim on Mac OS X--unless you're running some other Vim on Mac OS X.

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA
              eeweir@...

              "A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
              than it is for other people."

              - Thomas Mann