MacVim & Vim difference?

  • Pitt Mak
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
      Hi, I am new to this list.

      But i have something in puzzle, that is:
      "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as it do like in Windows and Linux?
      "

      I am reading the source code of MacVim, and the above questions are up to me while reading.

      --
      Pitt Mak

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
        On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
        > "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
        > back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
        > stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
        > running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
        > it do like in Windows and Linux?

        Take a look at

        https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

        It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
        about the layout of the source code.

      • MMak
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
          Björn Winckler wrote

          > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
          >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
          >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
          >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
          >> is
          >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
          >> as
          >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
          >
          > Take a look at
          >
          > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
          >
          > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
          > about the layout of the source code.
          >
          > Björn
          >
          > --

          Björn Winckler wrote

          > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
          >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
          >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
          >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
          >> is
          >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
          >> as
          >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
          >
          > Take a look at
          >
          > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
          >
          > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
          > about the layout of the source code.
          >
          > Björn
          >
          > --

          Björn Winckler wrote

          > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
          >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
          >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
          >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
          >> is
          >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
          >> as
          >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
          >
          > Take a look at
          >
          > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
          >
          > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
          > about the layout of the source code.
          >
          > Björn
          >
          > --

          Thanks, I am reading it, it seems helpful to me!

        • MMak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
            How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

          • MMak
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
              Björn Winckler wrote

              > On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
              >> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
              >> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
              >> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim
              >> is
              >> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task
              >> as
              >> it do like in Windows and Linux?
              >
              > Take a look at
              >
              > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README
              >
              > It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
              > about the layout of the source code.
              >
              > Björn
              >
              > --

              Are you the author of MacVim, awesome! Well done.

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
                On Jan 1, 2012, at 5:49 AM, MMak wrote:

                > How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

                I thought it *was* Vim on Mac OS X--unless you're running some other Vim on Mac OS X.

                Eric Weir
                Decatur, GA
                eeweir@...

                "A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
                than it is for other people."

                - Thomas Mann