building vim with ruby support

  • K H
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2011

      I'm on 10.7.2 with Xcode 4.2.1 and switch between system ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patch level 249) and use rbenv to manage 1.9.3-p0.

      When I build vim (downloaded today from vim website) and ./configure --enable-rubyinterp while using 1.8.7 it builds find, and vim --version shows +ruby.

      But when I build vim with 1.9.3 it builds fine, but vim --version shows -ruby.

      Would I run into problems if I build vim with 1.8.7 but use it to work with 1.9.3?

      Thanks!

      Ken

    • Jason Felice
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2011
        When vim builds against a ruby, that will be the ruby it uses regardless
        of rvm or rbenv - so you'll not be able to switch.

        I've not had luck building against a non-system ruby, though a co-worker
        was able to do it.

        -Jason

        On 12/23/11 1:15 AM, K H wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm on 10.7.2 with Xcode 4.2.1 and switch between system ruby 1.8.7
        > (2010-01-10 patch level 249) and use rbenv to manage 1.9.3-p0.
        >
        > When I build vim (downloaded today from vim website) and ./configure
        > --enable-rubyinterp while using 1.8.7 it builds find, and vim
        > --version shows +ruby.
        >
        > But when I build vim with 1.9.3 it builds fine, but vim --version
        > shows -ruby.
        >
        > Would I run into problems if I build vim with 1.8.7 but use it to work
        > with 1.9.3?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Ken
        > --

      • Phil Dobbin
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2011
          On 23/12/11 14:58, "Jason Felice" <jason.m.felice@...> wrote:

          > When vim builds against a ruby, that will be the ruby it uses regardless
          > of rvm or rbenv - so you'll not be able to switch.
          >
          > I've not had luck building against a non-system ruby, though a co-worker
          > was able to do it.

          Try using rvm. Then you can switch your Ruby version & if you compile vim in
          the same shell, it'll compile with the rvm specified Ruby (the codicil to
          this statement is I don't know your compiler status, env, header files
          situation & so forth).

          If you do install rvm I recommend using the single-user install rather than
          the multi-user one. It'll save you a lot of grief further on down the line
          if you're the only user of Ruby on your machine.

          Cheers,

          Phil...

          --
          Nothing to see here... move along, move along

        • Phil Dobbin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2011
            Here's a copy of my version for MacVim v.63:

            `Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall
            -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -D
            MACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
            Linking: gcc -L. -bind_at_load -L. -bind_at_load -L/usr/local/lib
            -o Vim -framework Cocoa -fr
            amework Carbon -lncurses -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector
            -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib

            -L/Users/dobbin/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/darwin-2level/CO
            RE -lperl -lm -lutil -lc
            -framework Python -lruby -lobjc
            -L/Users/dobbin/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p352/lib
            Press ENTER or type command to continue`

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            --
            Nothing to see here... move along, move along