Re: MacVim-5.7.9 on MacOS 8.6 loses swapfile

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2000
      I've run into this problem a few times. It seems to happen more often
      when I start up MacVim by itself (so no default filename). I remember
      hearing some explanations that it's more prone to happen if the volume
      has a space in it, but I can't recall where I heard it. It wouldn't
      surprise me if something in the Vim code still assumes it's doing UFS.

      : From: wolff@...
      : To: guckes-vim@...-berlin.de
      : Subject: [Fwd: [Mac]Vim .swp won't delete on exit (+fix)]
      : Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:37:11 +0200
      :
      : Hello Sven,
      :
      : I've put this on comp.editors minutes before. Bug?
      :
      : > Recently I started using MacVim5.7.9 under MacOS 8.6. Saving certain
      : > files caused vim to not delete the swap file upon exit.
      : >
      : > It is a slash '/' in the header of the file in question
      : > that makes vim loose the swap file before exiting.
      : >
      : > I can save a dummy file (blabla) basically under any header.
      : > Even !@#$%^&*()<>?| will do, but add a /
      : > to it and 'oops, lost the swap file'.
      : > Same goes for opening a file with such header.
      : > It gives the warning 'can't open swap file for ... '
      : >
      : > NoSlash seems to be the fix for me.
      : > Maybe useful for you too.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
        > I've put this on comp.editors minutes before. Bug?
        >
        > > Recently I started using MacVim5.7.9 under MacOS 8.6. Saving certain
        > > files caused vim to not delete the swap file upon exit.
        > >
        > > It is a slash '/' in the header of the file in question
        > > that makes vim loose the swap file before exiting.
        > >
        > > I can save a dummy file (blabla) basically under any header.
        > > Even !@#$%^&*()<>?| will do, but add a /
        > > to it and 'oops, lost the swap file'.
        > > Same goes for opening a file with such header.
        > > It gives the warning 'can't open swap file for ... '

        By header you mean filename, right?

        A slash is a directory separator on Unix, thus something deep in the Vim
        code assumes you want to access a sub-directory (sub folder in
        Mac-speak) but it doesn't find the folder.

        It is a trade off. Either you can enter Unix-style filenames (like
        /Data/text/plain/fortune for Data:text:plain:fortune) or you can have a
        "/" in your filename and "/Data/text/plain/fortune" is a filename.

        Isn't this documented on the MacVim Web page?
        No, it isn't, will be changed when uploading the next release.[1]

        > > NoSlash seems to be the fix for me.

        Do you have an URL?

        [1] The people responsible for the MacVim Webpage have been sacked.

        Axel
        --
        There is nothing left to try
        There is nothing left to choose