Re: Changing default keybinds

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
      On 6 December 2011 14:37, Tom Wieland wrote:

      > I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.
      >
      > My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
      > map <Tab> :bn<cr>
      > map <S-Tab> :bp<cr>
      >
      > By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
      > tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
      > buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
      > buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
      > drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser in https://github.com/alloy/macvim).
      > By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
      > wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
      > having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
      > any more).
      >
      > These maps should do:
      > map <Tab> :tabnext<cr>
      > map <S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
      > map <D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
      > map <D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>
      >
      > The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
      > t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map <D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.

      These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first.
      Read up on ":h cmd-key".

    • dado
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
        I tried
        :h cmd-key
        and got
        E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key

        Thanks,
        Dado

        On Dec 7, 1:06 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        > On 6 December 2011 14:37, Tom Wieland wrote:
        >

        > > I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.
        >
        > > My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
        > > map <Tab> :bn<cr>
        > > map <S-Tab> :bp<cr>
        >
        > > By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
        > > tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
        > > buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
        > > buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
        > > drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser inhttps://github.com/alloy/macvim).
        > > By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
        > > wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
        > > having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
        > > any more).
        >
        > > These maps should do:
        > > map <Tab> :tabnext<cr>
        > > map <S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
        > > map <D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
        > > map <D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>
        >
        > > The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
        > > t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map <D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.
        >
        > These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first.
        > Read up on ":h cmd-key".
        >
        > Björn

      • Dado Feigenblatt
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
          Sorry, I haven't had coffee yet.
          I've tried other methods and couldn't get help on that either.
          Typing literally
          :h <D-t>
          didn't work.
          Trying ˆV and the actual shortcut didn't work either.

          I just found out that literal
          :h <C-A>
          displays cmdline.txt while
          :h ^A (using ^V to enter ^A)
          displays change.txt.
          Why the difference?

          Thanks,
          Dado

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
            On 10 December 2011 18:56, dado wrote:
            > I tried
            > :h cmd-key
            > and got
            > E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key

            You must either have a very old version of MacVim, or you're not
            running MacVim at all. Get the latest version from:

            http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

          • Dado Feigenblatt
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
              I'm on MacVim (thank you!)
              I'm on build 53, OSX 10.6.8
              MacVim says I'm up-to-date.
              I see there's a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it's not
              the most stable release.
              Is that what most 10.6 users are using?
              I was under the impression that the latest builds where more about Lion
              compatibility but otherwise no different than build 53.

              Thanks,
              Dado

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
                On 11 December 2011 00:36, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
                > I'm on MacVim (thank you!)
                > I'm on build 53, OSX 10.6.8
                > MacVim says I'm up-to-date.
                > I see there's a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it's not the
                > most stable release.
                > Is that what most 10.6 users are using?
                > I was under the impression that the latest builds where more about Lion
                > compatibility but otherwise no different than build 53.

                I still recommending a later snapshot (62 is available for 10.6) -- it
                contains several bug fixes. If you'd rather stay on build 53, then
                you can read the latest help file at [1]. Just search for "cmd-key".

                Björn

                [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/runtime/doc/gui_mac.txt

              • Dado Feigenblatt
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
                  As MacVim says I'm up-to-date I thought that was the best release (at
                  least for my OS)
                  I'll gladly update to 62.

                  Thanks a lot for all you do
                  Dado