Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Changing default keybinds

Expand Messages
  • Tom Wieland
    Hello. I m trying to set up MacVim in a one file per tab environment. My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps map :bn map
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello.

      I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.

      My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
      map <Tab> :bn<cr>
      map <S-Tab> :bp<cr>

      By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
      tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
      buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
      buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
      drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser in https://github.com/alloy/macvim).
      By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
      wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
      having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
      any more).

      These maps should do:
      map <Tab> :tabnext<cr>
      map <S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
      map <D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
      map <D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>

      The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
      t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map <D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • björn
      ... These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first. Read up on :h cmd-key . Björn -- You received this message from the vim_mac
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        On 6 December 2011 14:37, Tom Wieland wrote:
        >
        > I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.
        >
        > My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
        > map <Tab> :bn<cr>
        > map <S-Tab> :bp<cr>
        >
        > By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
        > tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
        > buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
        > buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
        > drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser in https://github.com/alloy/macvim).
        > By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
        > wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
        > having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
        > any more).
        >
        > These maps should do:
        > map <Tab> :tabnext<cr>
        > map <S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
        > map <D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
        > map <D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>
        >
        > The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
        > t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map <D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.

        These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first.
        Read up on ":h cmd-key".

        Björn

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • dado
        I tried ... and got E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key Thanks, Dado ... -- You received this message from the vim_mac maillist. Do not top-post! Type your
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I tried
          :h cmd-key
          and got
          E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key

          Thanks,
          Dado

          On Dec 7, 1:06 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > On 6 December 2011 14:37, Tom Wieland wrote:
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > > I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.
          >
          > > My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
          > > map <Tab> :bn<cr>
          > > map <S-Tab> :bp<cr>
          >
          > > By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
          > > tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
          > > buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
          > > buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
          > > drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser inhttps://github.com/alloy/macvim).
          > > By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
          > > wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
          > > having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
          > > any more).
          >
          > > These maps should do:
          > > map <Tab> :tabnext<cr>
          > > map <S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
          > > map <D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
          > > map <D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>
          >
          > > The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
          > > t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map <D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.
          >
          > These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first.
          > Read up on ":h cmd-key".
          >
          > Björn

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Dado Feigenblatt
          Sorry, I haven t had coffee yet. I ve tried other methods and couldn t get help on that either. Typing literally ... didn t work. Trying ˆV and the actual
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Sorry, I haven't had coffee yet.
            I've tried other methods and couldn't get help on that either.
            Typing literally
            :h <D-t>
            didn't work.
            Trying ˆV and the actual shortcut didn't work either.

            I just found out that literal
            :h <C-A>
            displays cmdline.txt while
            :h ^A (using ^V to enter ^A)
            displays change.txt.
            Why the difference?

            Thanks,
            Dado

            On 12/10/11 9:56 AM, dado wrote:
            > I tried
            > :h cmd-key
            > and got
            > E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dado
            >
            > On Dec 7, 1:06 pm, björn<bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            >> On 6 December 2011 14:37, Tom Wieland wrote:
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>> I'm trying to set up MacVim in a 'one file per tab' environment.
            >>> My normal setup is using the MiniBufExpl plugin with the maps
            >>> map<Tab> :bn<cr>
            >>> map<S-Tab> :bp<cr>
            >>> By default the cmd-t and cmd-w maps are used for opening and closing
            >>> tabs. The problem I have with cmd-t (<D-t>) is that it opens a new
            >>> buffer with the name "[No Name]". I'd like it to open an existing
            >>> buffer instead. Like that I can open a tab and then open a file or
            >>> drag a file to it from Finder (or the File Browser inhttps://github.com/alloy/macvim).
            >>> By default the cmd-w map will close a tab. I'd like it to also buffer
            >>> wipe the buffer I had open in there (because by closing the tab,
            >>> having one file per tab, I'm saying that I don't want the file open
            >>> any more).
            >>> These maps should do:
            >>> map<Tab> :tabnext<cr>
            >>> map<S-Tab> :tabprevious<cr>
            >>> map<D-t> :tabedit %<cr>
            >>> map<D-w> :bwipeout :tabclose<cr>
            >>> The problem is that when I open vim, set these maps and then do a cmd-
            >>> t it will not work. Neither with e.g. map<D-t> :echo LOL<cr>.
            >> These shortcuts are bound to menus so you have to unbind them first.
            >> Read up on ":h cmd-key".
            >>
            >> Björn

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • björn
            ... You must either have a very old version of MacVim, or you re not running MacVim at all. Get the latest version from: http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              On 10 December 2011 18:56, dado wrote:
              > I tried
              > :h cmd-key
              > and got
              > E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key

              You must either have a very old version of MacVim, or you're not
              running MacVim at all. Get the latest version from:

              http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

              Björn

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Dado Feigenblatt
              I m on MacVim (thank you!) I m on build 53, OSX 10.6.8 MacVim says I m up-to-date. I see there s a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it s not the
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                I'm on MacVim (thank you!)
                I'm on build 53, OSX 10.6.8
                MacVim says I'm up-to-date.
                I see there's a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it's not
                the most stable release.
                Is that what most 10.6 users are using?
                I was under the impression that the latest builds where more about Lion
                compatibility but otherwise no different than build 53.

                Thanks,
                Dado

                On 12/10/11 1:20 PM, björn wrote:
                > On 10 December 2011 18:56, dado wrote:
                >> I tried
                >> :h cmd-key
                >> and got
                >> E149: Sorry, no help for cmd-key
                > You must either have a very old version of MacVim, or you're not
                > running MacVim at all. Get the latest version from:
                >
                > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
                >
                > Björn
                >

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • björn
                ... I still recommending a later snapshot (62 is available for 10.6) -- it contains several bug fixes. If you d rather stay on build 53, then you can read the
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 11 December 2011 00:36, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
                  > I'm on MacVim (thank you!)
                  > I'm on build 53, OSX 10.6.8
                  > MacVim says I'm up-to-date.
                  > I see there's a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it's not the
                  > most stable release.
                  > Is that what most 10.6 users are using?
                  > I was under the impression that the latest builds where more about Lion
                  > compatibility but otherwise no different than build 53.

                  I still recommending a later snapshot (62 is available for 10.6) -- it
                  contains several bug fixes. If you'd rather stay on build 53, then
                  you can read the latest help file at [1]. Just search for "cmd-key".

                  Björn

                  [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/runtime/doc/gui_mac.txt

                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                • Dado Feigenblatt
                  As MacVim says I m up-to-date I thought that was the best release (at least for my OS) I ll gladly update to 62. Thanks a lot for all you do Dado ... -- You
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    As MacVim says I'm up-to-date I thought that was the best release (at
                    least for my OS)
                    I'll gladly update to 62.

                    Thanks a lot for all you do
                    Dado


                    On 12/11/11 1:05 AM, björn wrote:
                    > On 11 December 2011 00:36, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
                    >> I'm on MacVim (thank you!)
                    >> I'm on build 53, OSX 10.6.8
                    >> MacVim says I'm up-to-date.
                    >> I see there's a build 62 for 10.6.x but the wording suggests it's not the
                    >> most stable release.
                    >> Is that what most 10.6 users are using?
                    >> I was under the impression that the latest builds where more about Lion
                    >> compatibility but otherwise no different than build 53.
                    > I still recommending a later snapshot (62 is available for 10.6) -- it
                    > contains several bug fixes. If you'd rather stay on build 53, then
                    > you can read the latest help file at [1]. Just search for "cmd-key".
                    >
                    > Björn
                    >
                    > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/runtime/doc/gui_mac.txt
                    >

                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.