Re: no .vimrc when "Open with..."

  • MacVlad
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2011
      Hello, Björn!

      Thank you for your reply!
      I have in my .vimrc some commands that obviously were not being
      executed, like:

      set guifont=Monaco:h18
      set lines=43
      set columns=80
      set textwidth=72
      colorscheme vladlight (that's my colorscheme ;-)

      They are NOT executed when I open a file with "Open with..." but only
      when I open first MacVim (with an empty document) and then the file
      (through CMD-O).

      Thanks again!

      Kind regards,
      Vlad

      On 2 Dez., 18:14, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > On 30 November 2011 19:28, MacVlad wrote:
      >

      > > I am using MacVim (snapshot 62) on my iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
      > > running Mac OS X 10.7.2.
      >
      > > Every time I open a file via the "Open with..." - context-menu from
      > > finder, my ~/.vimrc is NOT used.
      > > Not so when I open first MacVim and then the file (with "File - Open"
      > > or CMD-O).
      >
      > > Do you have any advice what could I do in order to have the .vimrc
      > > used with "Open with..." too?
      >
      > It should always source the ~/.vimrc.  What steps did you take in
      > order to come to the conclusion that it isn't being sourced?
      >
      > Björn

    • MacVlad
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011
        Hello again, Björn!

        I have to correct something: the .vimrc seems to work only when I open
        a file in a new tab (SHIFT-CMD-T) after MacVim was open with a new
        file.
        While opening through "Open with" or via CMD-O (after MacVim was open
        with a new file), my .vimrc seems not to be used anymore.

        Does this make more sense?

        Thanks again!

        Kind regards,
        Vlad Ghitulescu

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
          On 6 December 2011 20:05, MacVlad wrote:

          > I have to correct something: the .vimrc seems to work only when I open
          > a file in a new tab (SHIFT-CMD-T) after MacVim was open with a new
          > file.
          > While opening through "Open with" or via CMD-O (after MacVim was open
          > with a new file), my .vimrc seems not to be used anymore.
          >
          > Does this make more sense?

          Hmm, to be honest, no. The same code path are used in all of these cases.

          Just out of curiosity -- does it work if you put your customizations
          in ~/.gvimrc instead?

        • MacVlad
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
            Good morning, Björn!

            Thanks for your reply!

            First to your last question

            On 7 Dez., 22:08, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            > Just out of curiosity -- does it work if you put your customizations
            > in ~/.gvimrc instead?
            No, it didn't.

            But I have found something!

            I had previously the followings:
            - a file ~/.vimrc with only one line within that was "source .vim-
            config-local-eigen" (due to the fact that I use the second file, .vim-
            config-local-eigen, also on a PC)
            - a file ~/.vim-config-local-eigen with the commands (like set
            quifont, set lines, set columns, colorscheme etc.)

            I have now completed the path in .vimrc to "source ~/.vim-config-local-
            eigen" and now everything works as it should!

            Thanks again for your patience & help!

            Kind regards,
            Vlad Ghitulescu