Re: Alternate MacVim Icon

  • Drew Yeaton
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2011
      Thanks for pointing out this conversation.

      I understand the reticence with regards to changing something that's hasn't changed in a long time (eg. the vim icon). However, I think pushing forward on this is a worthy cause—if nothing more that to attempt to move MacVim forward as a product. However, It is slightly discouraging to see the conversation about this shut down so abruptly with little reason.

      Having said that, I have reached out to Björn (if that is the same Björn) directly earlier today.

      Drew

      On Dec 1, 2011, at 6:11 PM, Caleb Eggensperger wrote:

      This came up recently in another thread.

      https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_mac/ldDviR_6Q5s/x6X9NxVSR18J

      I like this icon, and would love to see the MacVim icon change, but it doesn't look likely.

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
        On 2 December 2011 02:00, Drew Yeaton wrote:
        > Thanks for pointing out this conversation.
        >
        > I understand the reticence with regards to changing something that's hasn't
        > changed in a long time (eg. the vim icon). However, I think pushing forward
        > on this is a worthy cause—if nothing more that to attempt to move MacVim
        > forward as a product. However, It is slightly discouraging to see the
        > conversation about this shut down so abruptly with little reason.

        I think it is great that you decided to design your own icon, and a
        lot of people seem to appreciate it. Wonderful! (I mean it, I'm not
        being facetious)

        ...but, unfortunately I still stand by my earlier posts: I do not want
        to change the icon to something that does not closely resemble the
        official Vim icon that is displayed on www.vim.org ("the green diamond
        with a V").

        I have made a serious effort to make MacVim not deviate from Vim on
        other platforms. This really is supposed to be Vim on the Mac and not
        a fork of Vim, or a Vim clone. To me the icon is a good indication
        that MacVim is Vim. A lot of Vim users feel _very_ strongly about
        keeping things uniform across platforms and as soon as I change one
        little thing they tend to speak up. This is perhaps my strongest
        reason for not wanting to change the icon.

        That being said: I'm not a fan of the "diamond and V" design myself
        and I have been vocal about this in the past. However, I've put my
        own wishes to the side on this issue so saying "no" to new icons is
        not something I am particularly happy about. My rather abrupt
        statement in the thread that was linked to by Caleb was an attempt for
        people to stop asking me about this, but I guess that was not the best
        way to deal with it. (There is at least one older thread were this
        has been discussed as well.)

        Anyway, the right person to approach regarding a redesign for the Vim
        icon is Bram Moolenaar (the author of Vim). I for one would be happy
        if you could convince him that it is about time for the Vim icon to
        receive a facelift.

        In the meantime, the best idea would be to publish step-by-step
        instructions on how to get your redesigned icon and replace the
        default icon. You are welcome to add a page to the MacVim wiki [1].

        Björn

        [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki

      • Blake Winton
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
          On 11-12-02 12:39 , björn wrote:
          > On 2 December 2011 02:00, Drew Yeaton wrote:
          >> I understand the reticence with regards to changing something that's hasn't
          >> changed in a long time (eg. the vim icon).
          > I have made a serious effort to make MacVim not deviate from Vim on
          > other platforms. This really is supposed to be Vim on the Mac and not
          > a fork of Vim, or a Vim clone. To me the icon is a good indication
          > that MacVim is Vim. A lot of Vim users feel _very_ strongly about
          > keeping things uniform across platforms and as soon as I change one
          > little thing they tend to speak up. This is perhaps my strongest
          > reason for not wanting to change the icon.

          Would you consider allowing people a choice of icons in the Preferences?

          As far as I can tell, the preferences are quite MacVim-specific already,
          so adding options there shouldn't be nearly as controversial…

          Later,
          Blake.
        • Phil Dobbin
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
            On 2/12/11 18:36, "Blake Winton" <bwinton@...> wrote:

            > Would you consider allowing people a choice of icons in the Preferences?
            >
            > As far as I can tell, the preferences are quite MacVim-specific already,
            > so adding options there shouldn't be nearly as controversialŠ

            Well, it's only a case of opening the package contents, storing the original
            icon elsewhere & replacing it with the new one (all whilst MacVim's not
            running ;-)... this can be done with any app's icon. It would be undesirable
            to package MacVim this way & then distribute it of course.

            Cheers,

            Phil.

            --
            Nothing to see here... move along, move along

          • Blake Winton
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
              On 11-12-02 14:33 , Phil Dobbin wrote:
              > On 2/12/11 18:36, "Blake Winton"<bwinton@...> wrote:
              >> Would you consider allowing people a choice of icons in the Preferences?
              >>
              >> As far as I can tell, the preferences are quite MacVim-specific already,
              >> so adding options there shouldn't be nearly as controversialŠ
              >
              > Well, it's only a case of opening the package contents, storing the original
              > icon elsewhere& replacing it with the new one (all whilst MacVim's not
              > running ;-)... this can be done with any app's icon. It would be undesirable
              > to package MacVim this way& then distribute it of course.

              It's easier than that, for end users, at least…

              http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/03/05/how-to-change-icons/

              But neither of those are something I'ld expect normal people (or non-mac
              people) to do, whereas a preference would work and be easy enough that
              almost anyone could find it.

              Later,
              Blake.
            • Phil Dobbin
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
                On 2/12/11 20:57, "Blake Winton" <bwinton@...> wrote:

                > It's easier than that, for end users, at least...
                >
                > http://pimpmymac.wordpress.com/2007/03/05/how-to-change-icons/
                >
                > But neither of those are something I'ld expect normal people (or non-mac
                > people) to do, whereas a preference would work and be easy enough that
                > almost anyone could find it.

                I'd forgotten about that particular route. Used to use it in Classic Mac
                OS...

                Cheers,

                Phil.

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Thanks for the awesome response. Your reasoning is sound, thanks for taking the time to explain the deal. I'll surely reach out to Bram, but your suggestion of adding a how-to on the MacVim wiki is a good idea.

                  Drew

                  On Dec 2, 2011, at 11:39 AM, björn wrote:

                  > On 2 December 2011 02:00, Drew Yeaton wrote:
                  >> Thanks for pointing out this conversation.
                  >>
                  >> I understand the reticence with regards to changing something that's hasn't
                  >> changed in a long time (eg. the vim icon). However, I think pushing forward
                  >> on this is a worthy cause—if nothing more that to attempt to move MacVim
                  >> forward as a product. However, It is slightly discouraging to see the
                  >> conversation about this shut down so abruptly with little reason.
                  >
                  > I think it is great that you decided to design your own icon, and a
                  > lot of people seem to appreciate it. Wonderful! (I mean it, I'm not
                  > being facetious)
                  >
                  > ...but, unfortunately I still stand by my earlier posts: I do not want
                  > to change the icon to something that does not closely resemble the
                  > official Vim icon that is displayed on www.vim.org ("the green diamond
                  > with a V").
                  >
                  > I have made a serious effort to make MacVim not deviate from Vim on
                  > other platforms. This really is supposed to be Vim on the Mac and not
                  > a fork of Vim, or a Vim clone. To me the icon is a good indication
                  > that MacVim is Vim. A lot of Vim users feel _very_ strongly about
                  > keeping things uniform across platforms and as soon as I change one
                  > little thing they tend to speak up. This is perhaps my strongest
                  > reason for not wanting to change the icon.
                  >
                  > That being said: I'm not a fan of the "diamond and V" design myself
                  > and I have been vocal about this in the past. However, I've put my
                  > own wishes to the side on this issue so saying "no" to new icons is
                  > not something I am particularly happy about. My rather abrupt
                  > statement in the thread that was linked to by Caleb was an attempt for
                  > people to stop asking me about this, but I guess that was not the best
                  > way to deal with it. (There is at least one older thread were this
                  > has been discussed as well.)
                  >
                  > Anyway, the right person to approach regarding a redesign for the Vim
                  > icon is Bram Moolenaar (the author of Vim). I for one would be happy
                  > if you could convince him that it is about time for the Vim icon to
                  > receive a facelift.
                  >
                  > In the meantime, the best idea would be to publish step-by-step
                  > instructions on how to get your redesigned icon and replace the
                  > default icon. You are welcome to add a page to the MacVim wiki [1].
                  >
                  > Björn
                  >
                  > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki
                  >
                  > --

                • YOSHI
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                    It's great. Thanks.

                  • WenMin Tu
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                      在 2011年12月1日星期四UTC+8上午9时22分28秒,Drew Yeaton写道:
                      > After using MacVim for quite some time, I thought I would give back to
                      > the MacVim community in the form of design work. I'm proposing an
                      > alternate icon that I feel makes MacVim appear more at home on the
                      > Mac. My design goals were few—
                      >
                      > + Give MacVim some character while keeping the familiar MacVim green
                      > + Align with the icon design suggestions in Apple's HIG
                      > + Give MacVim a modern appearance
                      >
                      > View it on Dribbble here:
                      > http://dribbble.com/shots/337065-MacVim-Icon-Updated
                      >
                      > What do you think?

                      this is great, they should use it in the next snapshot build

                    • Jimmy Burrell
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Way cool, thanks.

                        On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:22:28 PM UTC-6, Drew Yeaton wrote:
                        > After using MacVim for quite some time, I thought I would give back to
                        > the MacVim community in the form of design work. I'm proposing an
                        > alternate icon that I feel makes MacVim appear more at home on the
                        > Mac. My design goals were few—
                        >
                        > + Give MacVim some character while keeping the familiar MacVim green
                        > + Align with the icon design suggestions in Apple's HIG
                        > + Give MacVim a modern appearance
                        >
                        > View it on Dribbble here:
                        > http://dribbble.com/shots/337065-MacVim-Icon-Updated
                        >
                        > What do you think?