no .vimrc when "Open with..."

  • MacVlad
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hello!

      I am using MacVim (snapshot 62) on my iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
      running Mac OS X 10.7.2.

      Every time I open a file via the "Open with..." - context-menu from
      finder, my ~/.vimrc is NOT used.
      Not so when I open first MacVim and then the file (with "File - Open"
      or CMD-O).

      Do you have any advice what could I do in order to have the .vimrc
      used with "Open with..." too?

      Thank you very much!

      Kind regards,
      Vlad Ghitulescu

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
        On 30 November 2011 19:28, MacVlad wrote:

        > I am using MacVim (snapshot 62) on my iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
        > running Mac OS X 10.7.2.
        >
        > Every time I open a file via the "Open with..." - context-menu from
        > finder, my ~/.vimrc is NOT used.
        > Not so when I open first MacVim and then the file (with "File - Open"
        > or CMD-O).
        >
        > Do you have any advice what could I do in order to have the .vimrc
        > used with "Open with..." too?

        It should always source the ~/.vimrc. What steps did you take in
        order to come to the conclusion that it isn't being sourced?

      • MacVlad
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2011
          Hello, Björn!

          Thank you for your reply!
          I have in my .vimrc some commands that obviously were not being
          executed, like:

          set guifont=Monaco:h18
          set lines=43
          set columns=80
          set textwidth=72
          colorscheme vladlight (that's my colorscheme ;-)

          They are NOT executed when I open a file with "Open with..." but only
          when I open first MacVim (with an empty document) and then the file
          (through CMD-O).

          Thanks again!

          Kind regards,
          Vlad

          On 2 Dez., 18:14, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > On 30 November 2011 19:28, MacVlad wrote:
          >

          > > I am using MacVim (snapshot 62) on my iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
          > > running Mac OS X 10.7.2.
          >
          > > Every time I open a file via the "Open with..." - context-menu from
          > > finder, my ~/.vimrc is NOT used.
          > > Not so when I open first MacVim and then the file (with "File - Open"
          > > or CMD-O).
          >
          > > Do you have any advice what could I do in order to have the .vimrc
          > > used with "Open with..." too?
          >
          > It should always source the ~/.vimrc.  What steps did you take in
          > order to come to the conclusion that it isn't being sourced?
          >
          > Björn

        • MacVlad
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011
            Hello again, Björn!

            I have to correct something: the .vimrc seems to work only when I open
            a file in a new tab (SHIFT-CMD-T) after MacVim was open with a new
            file.
            While opening through "Open with" or via CMD-O (after MacVim was open
            with a new file), my .vimrc seems not to be used anymore.

            Does this make more sense?

            Thanks again!

            Kind regards,
            Vlad Ghitulescu

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
              On 6 December 2011 20:05, MacVlad wrote:

              > I have to correct something: the .vimrc seems to work only when I open
              > a file in a new tab (SHIFT-CMD-T) after MacVim was open with a new
              > file.
              > While opening through "Open with" or via CMD-O (after MacVim was open
              > with a new file), my .vimrc seems not to be used anymore.
              >
              > Does this make more sense?

              Hmm, to be honest, no. The same code path are used in all of these cases.

              Just out of curiosity -- does it work if you put your customizations
              in ~/.gvimrc instead?

            • MacVlad
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2011
                Good morning, Björn!

                Thanks for your reply!

                First to your last question

                On 7 Dez., 22:08, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                > Just out of curiosity -- does it work if you put your customizations
                > in ~/.gvimrc instead?
                No, it didn't.

                But I have found something!

                I had previously the followings:
                - a file ~/.vimrc with only one line within that was "source .vim-
                config-local-eigen" (due to the fact that I use the second file, .vim-
                config-local-eigen, also on a PC)
                - a file ~/.vim-config-local-eigen with the commands (like set
                quifont, set lines, set columns, colorscheme etc.)

                I have now completed the path in .vimrc to "source ~/.vim-config-local-
                eigen" and now everything works as it should!

                Thanks again for your patience & help!

                Kind regards,
                Vlad Ghitulescu