use vim in /usr/local ?

  • Christopher J. Bottaro
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm suffering from frequent crashes.  After Googling around, it seems to be related to the vim that is included with Lion (/usr/bin/vim).  So I compiled vim from source and installed it to /usr/local.

      How do I get MacVim to use that vim instead of the Lion default?

      Thanks,
      -- C

    • Daniel Abad
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
        Chris,

        MacVim already comes with a compiled version of vim with it and it does not use Lion's default. But if still want to use your new local copy of vim then create a symbolic link to your copy in /path/to/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/. Within terminal switch to that directory and do:

        mv Vim Vim_backup

        ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim Vim

        Of course, I have no idea how MacVim will behave if you do this. If you want to revert your changes then either re-download MacVim or from the same directory described above do:

        rm Vim

        mv Vim_backup Vim

        Regards,

        Danny

        On Nov 9, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm suffering from frequent crashes. After Googling around, it seems to be related to the vim that is included with Lion (/usr/bin/vim). So I compiled vim from source and installed it to /usr/local.
        >
        > How do I get MacVim to use that vim instead of the Lion default?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -- C
        >
        > --

      • David Henderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
          On 09 Nov 2011, at 16:17, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

          I'm suffering from frequent crashes.  After Googling around, it seems to be related to the vim that is included with Lion (/usr/bin/vim).  So I compiled vim from source and installed it to /usr/local.

          How do I get MacVim to use that vim instead of the Lion default?

          MacVim uses a custom binary of vim installed in its application package not the default system vim in /usr/bin. Perhaps your version of MacVim needs updating for compatibility with Lion.

          David P Henderson
          c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
          --
          "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
              -- Theodore Roosevelt

        • Darcy
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
            Add this to your .bashrc (etc...)

            # Move (or Add) /usr/local/bin to the front of the path
            [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && export PATH=$(echo /usr/local/bin:$PATH | sed
            -e 's;:/usr/local/bin;;')

            Now any executable in /usr/local/bin will be found before other
            possible instances of the executable found in your path.

            As an FYI, I add this immediately after:
            # if there is a bin folder in home, add it to PATH
            [ -d ~/bin ] && export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

            So similarly, any executable found in ~/bin will take precedence.

            As a side node, as a mac user, you may prefer to install macvim and
            other apps via brew https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew
            Brew makes it easy to keep up to date with latest builds and manages
            the builds under /usr/local for you. If you're using macvim, it also
            comes with vim. I access it by adding these lines to my bashrc

            vim='/usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.3-62/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -
            n' #Update path as required...
            alias vim="${vim}"

            Darcy

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
              On 10 November 2011 01:37, Daniel Abad wrote:

              > MacVim already comes with a compiled version of vim with it and it does not use Lion's default.  But if still want to use your new local copy of vim then create a symbolic link to your copy in /path/to/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/.  Within terminal switch to that directory and do:
              >
              > mv Vim Vim_backup
              >
              > ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim Vim
              >
              > Of course, I have no idea how MacVim will behave if you do this.

              Daniel, in the nicest way I can possibly think of I ask you: why would
              you suggest such a thing if you admittedly do not know what it does?

              I can tell you what will happen -- it will break MacVim completely.
              Do not do this.

              Please, everybody reading this list, never do anything this silly, nor
              give such outrageous advice. The only thing that will come of this is
              I'll get really weird bug reports and unnecessarily waste time trying
              to help people to get MacVim working again. :-O

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
                On 10 November 2011 01:17, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
                > I'm suffering from frequent crashes.  After Googling around, it seems to be
                > related to the vim that is included with Lion (/usr/bin/vim).  So I compiled
                > vim from source and installed it to /usr/local.

                I've had some reports of frequent crashes under Lion but so far I've
                not been able to reproduce most of them. One crash that I did track
                down relates to using Python plugins. If you have this problem (which
                I doubt since the builtin Vim does not support Python) you should
                download snapshot 63 (released today) since it fixes this problem.

                If this is not your problem then I'd be very interested to know if you
                have some way to reproduce this problem?

                > How do I get MacVim to use that vim instead of the Lion default?

                Now I am confused. You first said you used the builtin version of
                Vim. Are you now saying that you are actually using MacVim?

              • Daniel Abad
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
                  Bjorn,

                  I apologize if this has caused you any trouble. My intent was not suggest to do such a thing, only to answer the original submitter's question on how. That is why I first said that MacVim comes with its own compiled version of vim and gave warning that its behavior could be undefined. You're right though, I should have advised not to.

                  Regards,

                  Danny Abad

                  On Nov 10, 2011, at 2:26 PM, björn wrote:

                  > On 10 November 2011 01:37, Daniel Abad wrote:
                  >>
                  >> MacVim already comes with a compiled version of vim with it and it does not use Lion's default. But if still want to use your new local copy of vim then create a symbolic link to your copy in /path/to/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/. Within terminal switch to that directory and do:
                  >>
                  >> mv Vim Vim_backup
                  >>
                  >> ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim Vim
                  >>
                  >> Of course, I have no idea how MacVim will behave if you do this.
                  >
                  > Daniel, in the nicest way I can possibly think of I ask you: why would
                  > you suggest such a thing if you admittedly do not know what it does?
                  >
                  > I can tell you what will happen -- it will break MacVim completely.
                  > Do not do this.
                  >
                  > Please, everybody reading this list, never do anything this silly, nor
                  > give such outrageous advice. The only thing that will come of this is
                  > I'll get really weird bug reports and unnecessarily waste time trying
                  > to help people to get MacVim working again. :-O
                  >
                  > Björn
                  >
                  > --

                • Christopher J. Bottaro
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2011
                    On Nov 10, 2011, at 3:40 PM, "björn" <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                    >> How do I get MacVim to use that vim instead of the Lion default?
                    >
                    > Now I am confused. You first said you used the builtin version of
                    > Vim. Are you now saying that you are actually using MacVim?

                    I read something that seemed to suggest MacVim used an external vim
                    binary and that is what's actually crashing. So if you just get MacVim
                    to use a different vim binary, the problem would be solved.

                    Apparently that's not the case though... :)

                    Anyway, I reinstalled MacVim with brew using the --head option and I
                    haven't experienced a crash yet.

                    -- C