Open project from command line?

  • GunsNRails
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011

      I've been using macvim for a while. This one: http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
      But lately it has become sooo slow, specially text selection, that I
      can't stand it anymore.

      Today I tried this one: http://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa/ and it is
      way faster for what I need.

      Sorry to put the links but I'm getting confused when people talk about
      macvim, vim for mac, etc. Even the icon is too similar...

      I'll give a try to vim-cocoa. Two questions:

      - Is there a way to open a project from the command line? With "the
      other" I could do mvim . from inside a folder and get all the folder
      to work with. So far I'm dropping a folder inside vim-cocoa to get it
      doing the same thing.

      - Having a "recents" option in the file menu would be great. Well that
      was not a question.

      Cheers.

    • Janusz Bossy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
        On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM, GunsNRails <josegrad@...> wrote:
        > I've been using macvim for a while. This one: http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
        > But lately it has become sooo slow, specially text selection, that I
        > can't stand it anymore.

        Hi,

        I have never used vim-cocoa, but have you tried switching to the
        experimental renderer in MacVim? It's a lot faster but, according to
        the description can cause display issues - I haven't seen any and I'm
        using MacVim very often for coding and I have a lot of different
        plugins installed. Maybe give it a try.

        Janusz

      • GunsNRails
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
          Hi, thanks Janusz.

          Yeah I did a search and tried different things including that. The
          only thing that caused a considerable improvement (in text selection,
          meaning double click to select something) was toggle Vi compatibility.
          But that screwed the way the whole app works.

          Honestly when I go to vim cocoa and double click to select a text I'm
          so amazed that it just does it immediately (as most other editors). I
          got used to the slowness of macvim, but not enough.

          Cheers.

          On Nov 9, 12:29 pm, Janusz Bossy <janusz.bo...@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM, GunsNRails <joseg...@...> wrote:
          > > I've been using macvim for a while. This one:http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
          > > But lately it has become sooo slow, specially text selection, that I
          > > can't stand it anymore.
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have never used vim-cocoa, but have you tried switching to the
          > experimental renderer in MacVim? It's a lot faster but, according to
          > the description can cause display issues - I haven't seen any and I'm
          > using MacVim very often for coding and I have a lot of different
          > plugins installed. Maybe give it a try.
          >
          > Janusz

        • Sylvain Soliman
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011

            I'm slightly off topic but...

            * GunsNRails <josegrad@...>:
            > Honestly when I go to vim cocoa and double click to select a text I'm
            > so amazed that it just does it immediately (as most other editors). I
            > got used to the slowness of macvim, but not enough.

            I must admit I almost never do that (i.e., selecting text by double
            clicking it), but after reading your mail I tried it (in MacVim) and I
            really don't see how it could be faster...

            Does this behavior depend on the size of the file? the filetype or the
            syntax? the plugins you have loaded? (e.g. do you have the same problem
            with mvim -u NONE? if you :syntax off? etc.)

            Sylvain

            --
            Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
            Page personnelle http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/

          • Billy Huang
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
              The situation I had is some what similar when opening a PHP file with
              lot of classes for taglist, autocomplpop, huge list of dict file and
              xptemplate to process. So I would say it depends on how many things you
              need to process by your plugins in the file to determine the lag. But
              after a while, lets say around 10minutes, the lag is gone.

              Sent from my Windows Phone From: Sylvain Soliman
              Sent: Thursday, 10 November 2011 1:12
              To: vim_mac
              Subject: Re: Open project from command line?
              Hi,

              I'm slightly off topic but...

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
                Thanks for your comments.
                We'll in the beginning it was ok, something has changed lately. I
                haven't installed any new plugins.

                I do that quite offen to copy paste around between files or copy a
                whole line and it is very annoying lately.

                I've tried setting some options. But really, why would I need to read
                manuals about the options of the editor because it is slow.
                Again, it was ok when I started using it and now it is slow, so I am
                sure that for some people is working great as it was for me.

                If could learn how to open vim-cocoa from command line it would be
                great also (plus some other issue I posted about it as well...)

                Thanks.