Re: MacVim SEGV with python plugins on Lion

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2011
      On 4 November 2011 18:51, Chris Nicola wrote:
      > I've added this to the macvim google code issue on Lion crashes but I'm
      > hoping someone has already found a way to fix this.
      > I recently updated to Lion and a couple of python plugins (VimRepress for
      > example) crash with a SEGV message.  I've narrowed it down to writing to the
      > stdout or stderr.  For example this command:
      > :python import sys; sys.stdout.write("Something")
      > Will cause a crash.
      > Perhaps there is just something wrong with the included python in Lion
      > though I don't have a crash if I do the same using the python interpreter.
      > Anyone seen this?

      I've answered this on the issue tracker [1] but in case anybody else
      comes across this post I'll say something here as well.

      This problem only happens when building MacVim 64 bit (which is the
      default). To work around the issue build 32 bit instead by passing
      the flag "----with-macarchs=i386" to the "configure" script when
      building, e.g.

      ./configure --with-macarchs=i386 --enable-pythoninterp

      The crash happens inside Python and I don't know why this is (or how
      to track it down). I posted to vim_dev (hoping somebody who worked on
      the Python interface would answer) but got nothing.

      Any help with getting Python not to crash would be appreciated. Has
      anybody on this list any experience with embedding Python?

      Björn

      [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=370

    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2011
        * Chris Nicola <chnicola@...> [111104 14:59]:
        > I've added this to the macvim google code issue on Lion crashes but I'm
        > hoping someone has already found a way to fix this.
        >
        > I recently updated to Lion and a couple of python plugins (VimRepress for
        > example) crash with a SEGV message. I've narrowed it down to writing to
        > the stdout or stderr. For example this command:
        >
        > :python import sys; sys.stdout.write("Something")
        >
        > Will cause a crash.
        >
        > Perhaps there is just something wrong with the included python in Lion
        > though I don't have a crash if I do the same using the python interpreter.
        >
        > Anyone seen this?
        Yes. I see it precisely as you do.

        :python import sys; print(sys.path)

        executes properly.