MacVim SEGV with python plugins on Lion

  • Chris Nicola
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2011
      I've added this to the macvim google code issue on Lion crashes but I'm hoping someone has already found a way to fix this.

      I recently updated to Lion and a couple of python plugins (VimRepress for example) crash with a SEGV message.  I've narrowed it down to writing to the stdout or stderr.  For example this command:

      :python import sys; sys.stdout.write("Something")

      Will cause a crash.

      Perhaps there is just something wrong with the included python in Lion though I don't have a crash if I do the same using the python interpreter.

      Anyone seen this?

    • Russ McBride
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2011
        Anyone else having a problem with MacVim being over-agressive with file types. It matches to many URL schemes. When I click on an email address, when I click on an Applescript App, and in other situations MacVim tries to respond and I get the following error:

        Unknown URL Scheme. This version of MacVim does not support "(null)" in its URL Scheme.

        Best

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2011
          On 4 November 2011 18:51, Chris Nicola wrote:
          > I've added this to the macvim google code issue on Lion crashes but I'm
          > hoping someone has already found a way to fix this.
          > I recently updated to Lion and a couple of python plugins (VimRepress for
          > example) crash with a SEGV message.  I've narrowed it down to writing to the
          > stdout or stderr.  For example this command:
          > :python import sys; sys.stdout.write("Something")
          > Will cause a crash.
          > Perhaps there is just something wrong with the included python in Lion
          > though I don't have a crash if I do the same using the python interpreter.
          > Anyone seen this?

          I've answered this on the issue tracker [1] but in case anybody else
          comes across this post I'll say something here as well.

          This problem only happens when building MacVim 64 bit (which is the
          default). To work around the issue build 32 bit instead by passing
          the flag "----with-macarchs=i386" to the "configure" script when
          building, e.g.

          ./configure --with-macarchs=i386 --enable-pythoninterp

          The crash happens inside Python and I don't know why this is (or how
          to track it down). I posted to vim_dev (hoping somebody who worked on
          the Python interface would answer) but got nothing.

          Any help with getting Python not to crash would be appreciated. Has
          anybody on this list any experience with embedding Python?

          Björn

          [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=370

        • Tim Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2011
            * Chris Nicola <chnicola@...> [111104 14:59]:
            > I've added this to the macvim google code issue on Lion crashes but I'm
            > hoping someone has already found a way to fix this.
            >
            > I recently updated to Lion and a couple of python plugins (VimRepress for
            > example) crash with a SEGV message. I've narrowed it down to writing to
            > the stdout or stderr. For example this command:
            >
            > :python import sys; sys.stdout.write("Something")
            >
            > Will cause a crash.
            >
            > Perhaps there is just something wrong with the included python in Lion
            > though I don't have a crash if I do the same using the python interpreter.
            >
            > Anyone seen this?
            Yes. I see it precisely as you do.

            :python import sys; print(sys.path)

            executes properly.