Re: $PATH

  • Peter Palmreuther
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
      On Friday, November 4, 2011 2:30:18 AM UTC+1, Caleb Eggensperger wrote:
      :let works great, thanks!

      Good to hear.

      I hadn't tried logging out and back in with the environment.plist method,

      As it's only evaluated on login, this explains why you haven't seen any effect.

      but that would have been an imperfect solution anyway, since I don't see an obvious way to concatenate something onto the end of my path (rather than just replacing it).

      Correct. 'environment.plist' is no scripted or dynamic configuration instance. But for setting other environment variables to a fixed value, intended to be valid and present across all user processes it's a pretty good location to keep in mind, because all processes inherit environment defined there, while not all evaluate (directly or indirectly) '.profile' et al.

    • Giovanni Lanzani
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
        Well, the good thing about environment.plist is that is used by many other things, so you don't need to set the PATH for every program you use.

        Example: I have a python scripts with some libraries in an unusual location. The script is executed by launchd. How can I tell launchd where the libraries are? With a PYTHONPATH key in environment.plist

        Second example: I use a custom script for Marked (http://markedapp.com), and the script uses jekyll which is in /usr/local/bin. How do I tell Marked? With the PATH key in environment.plist

        Third example: I want the github application to use my version of git, instead of the one in /usr/bin. How do I do that? You guessed right, with environment.plist.

        I mean, it's a precious resource, especially for you, without admin privileges.

      • Caleb Eggensperger
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
          Thanks, Peter and Giovanni. I'll keep that in mind.