Menu item commands

  • Rafael
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011

      I've been using MacVim for a while now, and I am always discovering
      new commands. Today I ran through a old webpage, showing a GVim in
      linux: http://static.arstechnica.com/vim0509/gvim_ars.png

      Is it possible to have MacVim displaying the commands after the menu
      item like in this snapshot? It would be a nice way to remember the
      commands I insist in forgetting...

      Thanks
      Rafael

      ps: I found this through a vim 20th anniversary article:
      http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/11/two-decades-of-productivity-vims-20th-anniversary.ars

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011
        On 2 November 2011 16:32, Rafael wrote:

        > I've been using MacVim for a while now, and I am always discovering
        > new commands. Today I ran through a old webpage, showing a GVim in
        > linux: http://static.arstechnica.com/vim0509/gvim_ars.png
        >
        > Is it possible to have MacVim displaying the commands after the menu
        > item like in this snapshot? It would be a nice way to remember the
        > commands I insist in forgetting...

        Unfortunately the Cocoa menu-related APIs do not let you choose what
        to display on the right in a menu item. It could be done by writing a
        customized NSMenuItem class but I have not attempted to implement this
        myself. (Patches are welcome, of course.)

        Note though that if you hover the mouse over a menu item for a couple
        of seconds a tooltip will pop up displaying the command.