Re: Howto Copy from ex

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
      Tim,

      On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
      > * Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
      >> I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
      >> linux for many years.
      > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
      > clipboard..

      Does Command-C not work for you?

      > I'm using ClipMenu.
      > I can select a line in ex, execute `p' and it is then
      > in register %, but don't know where to go from there.
      >> Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
      >> 1)How can I do this?
      >> 2)Where is documentation on this?
      >> thanks
      >> --

    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
        * George Dinwiddie <lists@...> [111022 17:43]:
        > Tim,
        >
        > On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
        > >* Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
        > >>I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
        > >>linux for many years.
        > > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
        > > clipboard..
        >
        > Does Command-C not work for you?
        No. In fact Command-C does not copy to any vim register either.
        thanks
        --
        Tim
        http://www.akwebsoft.com

      • Kyle Lippincott
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
          Perhaps I'm confused.  You're in ex mode, and you want to copy to the system clipboard?  :yank [register] should be what you want, so:
          y +
          or maybe (I forget if there's a difference between + and * on the mac, probably not in ex mode no matter what, :help quotestar and :help quoteplus)
          y *

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
            * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
            > Perhaps I'm confused.
            Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
            Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
            On my .vimrc I have the following map:
            noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>

            and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
            like this in ex:
            buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
            and I want to copy

            ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim

            to the system clipboard.

            So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
            in ex
            to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.

            If I have
            buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
            in ex
            and select
            ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
            and press 'y'
            ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
            will be copied into the % register.

            How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

            In ubuntu, all I have to do is select whatever text in ex
            that I want and it is immediately copied to the system clipboard,
            the same as if it were selected in the buffer.

            I hope that this is clearer.
            thanks for the interest.
            --
            Tim
            http://www.akwebsoft.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
              On 23 October 2011 21:31, Tim Johnson wrote:
              > * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
              >> Perhaps I'm confused.
              >  Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
              >  Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
              >  On my .vimrc I have the following map:
              >  noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>
              >
              >  and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
              >  like this in ex:
              >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
              >  and I want to copy
              >
              >        ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
              >
              >  to the system clipboard.
              >
              >  So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
              >  in ex
              >  to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.
              >
              >  If I have
              >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
              >  in ex
              >  and select
              >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
              >  and press 'y'
              >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
              >  will be copied into the % register.
              >
              >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

              I add the line

              set go+=A

              to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
              automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
              think that is what you are looking for.

            • Tim Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                * björn <bjorn.winckler@...> [111023 12:20]:
                > >  will be copied into the % register.
                > >
                > >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?
                >
                > I add the line
                >
                > set go+=A
                >
                > to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
                > automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
                > think that is what you are looking for.

                You are correct. Thank you very much!
                chees
                --