Re: Howto Copy from ex

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
      * Tim Johnson <tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
      > I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
      > linux for many years.
      Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
      clipboard..
      I'm using ClipMenu.
      I can select a line in ex, execute `p' and it is then
      in register %, but don't know where to go from there.
      > Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
      > 1)How can I do this?
      > 2)Where is documentation on this?
      > thanks
      > --
      > Tim
      > tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
      > http://www.akwebsoft.com
      >
      > --

      Tim
      http://www.akwebsoft.com

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
        Tim,

        On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
        > * Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
        >> I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
        >> linux for many years.
        > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
        > clipboard..

        Does Command-C not work for you?

        > I'm using ClipMenu.
        > I can select a line in ex, execute `p' and it is then
        > in register %, but don't know where to go from there.
        >> Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
        >> 1)How can I do this?
        >> 2)Where is documentation on this?
        >> thanks
        >> --

      • Tim Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
          * George Dinwiddie <lists@...> [111022 17:43]:
          > Tim,
          >
          > On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
          > >* Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
          > >>I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
          > >>linux for many years.
          > > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
          > > clipboard..
          >
          > Does Command-C not work for you?
          No. In fact Command-C does not copy to any vim register either.
          thanks
          --
          Tim
          http://www.akwebsoft.com

        • Kyle Lippincott
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
            Perhaps I'm confused.  You're in ex mode, and you want to copy to the system clipboard?  :yank [register] should be what you want, so:
            y +
            or maybe (I forget if there's a difference between + and * on the mac, probably not in ex mode no matter what, :help quotestar and :help quoteplus)
            y *

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
              * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
              > Perhaps I'm confused.
              Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
              Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
              On my .vimrc I have the following map:
              noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>

              and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
              like this in ex:
              buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
              and I want to copy

              ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim

              to the system clipboard.

              So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
              in ex
              to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.

              If I have
              buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
              in ex
              and select
              ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
              and press 'y'
              ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
              will be copied into the % register.

              How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

              In ubuntu, all I have to do is select whatever text in ex
              that I want and it is immediately copied to the system clipboard,
              the same as if it were selected in the buffer.

              I hope that this is clearer.
              thanks for the interest.
              --
              Tim
              http://www.akwebsoft.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                On 23 October 2011 21:31, Tim Johnson wrote:
                > * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
                >> Perhaps I'm confused.
                >  Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
                >  Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
                >  On my .vimrc I have the following map:
                >  noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>
                >
                >  and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
                >  like this in ex:
                >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                >  and I want to copy
                >
                >        ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                >
                >  to the system clipboard.
                >
                >  So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
                >  in ex
                >  to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.
                >
                >  If I have
                >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                >  in ex
                >  and select
                >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                >  and press 'y'
                >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                >  will be copied into the % register.
                >
                >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

                I add the line

                set go+=A

                to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
                automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
                think that is what you are looking for.

              • Tim Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                  * björn <bjorn.winckler@...> [111023 12:20]:
                  > >  will be copied into the % register.
                  > >
                  > >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?
                  >
                  > I add the line
                  >
                  > set go+=A
                  >
                  > to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
                  > automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
                  > think that is what you are looking for.

                  You are correct. Thank you very much!
                  chees
                  --