Howto Copy from ex

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
      I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
      linux for many years.
      Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
      1)How can I do this?
      2)Where is documentation on this?
      thanks
      --
      Tim
      http://www.akwebsoft.com

    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
        * Tim Johnson <tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
        > I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
        > linux for many years.
        Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
        clipboard..
        I'm using ClipMenu.
        I can select a line in ex, execute `p' and it is then
        in register %, but don't know where to go from there.
        > Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
        > 1)How can I do this?
        > 2)Where is documentation on this?
        > thanks
        > --
        > Tim
        > tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
        > http://www.akwebsoft.com
        >
        > --

        Tim
        http://www.akwebsoft.com

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2011
          Tim,

          On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
          > * Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
          >> I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
          >> linux for many years.
          > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
          > clipboard..

          Does Command-C not work for you?

          > I'm using ClipMenu.
          > I can select a line in ex, execute `p' and it is then
          > in register %, but don't know where to go from there.
          >> Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do it on macvim.
          >> 1)How can I do this?
          >> 2)Where is documentation on this?
          >> thanks
          >> --

        • Tim Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
            * George Dinwiddie <lists@...> [111022 17:43]:
            > Tim,
            >
            > On 10/22/11 8:44 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
            > >* Tim Johnson<tim@...> [111022 16:42]:
            > >>I find it very useful to copy from ex, and have used this feature on
            > >>linux for many years.
            > > Sorry, I left out something, I want to copy to a system
            > > clipboard..
            >
            > Does Command-C not work for you?
            No. In fact Command-C does not copy to any vim register either.
            thanks
            --
            Tim
            http://www.akwebsoft.com

          • Kyle Lippincott
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
              Perhaps I'm confused.  You're in ex mode, and you want to copy to the system clipboard?  :yank [register] should be what you want, so:
              y +
              or maybe (I forget if there's a difference between + and * on the mac, probably not in ex mode no matter what, :help quotestar and :help quoteplus)
              y *

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
                > Perhaps I'm confused.
                Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
                Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
                On my .vimrc I have the following map:
                noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>

                and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
                like this in ex:
                buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                and I want to copy

                ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim

                to the system clipboard.

                So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
                in ex
                to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.

                If I have
                buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                in ex
                and select
                ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                and press 'y'
                ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                will be copied into the % register.

                How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

                In ubuntu, all I have to do is select whatever text in ex
                that I want and it is immediately copied to the system clipboard,
                the same as if it were selected in the buffer.

                I hope that this is clearer.
                thanks for the interest.
                --
                Tim
                http://www.akwebsoft.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                  On 23 October 2011 21:31, Tim Johnson wrote:
                  > * Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> [111023 09:34]:
                  >> Perhaps I'm confused.
                  >  Perhaps, and :) most certainly I haven't made myself clear enough.
                  >  Here's an example of a specific action I use very frequently:
                  >  On my .vimrc I have the following map:
                  >  noremap <C-G> 2<C-G>
                  >
                  >  and when in a buffer I press C-g, I see something
                  >  like this in ex:
                  >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                  >  and I want to copy
                  >
                  >        ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                  >
                  >  to the system clipboard.
                  >
                  >  So to recap, I want to copy text that is displayed
                  >  in ex
                  >  to the clipboard. Just as if it were in the buffer.
                  >
                  >  If I have
                  >  buf 7: "~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim" 101 lines --18%--
                  >  in ex
                  >  and select
                  >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                  >  and press 'y'
                  >   ~/.vim/plugin/myscript.vim
                  >  will be copied into the % register.
                  >
                  >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?

                  I add the line

                  set go+=A

                  to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
                  automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
                  think that is what you are looking for.

                • Tim Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 23, 2011
                    * björn <bjorn.winckler@...> [111023 12:20]:
                    > >  will be copied into the % register.
                    > >
                    > >  How then to copy it to the system clipboard?
                    >
                    > I add the line
                    >
                    > set go+=A
                    >
                    > to my ~/.gvimrc. This means that the "modeless selection" is
                    > automatically copied on selection (see ":h 'go" and ":h modeless"). I
                    > think that is what you are looking for.

                    You are correct. Thank you very much!
                    chees
                    --