Re: Syntax highlighting does not work in MacVim

  • Peter Palmreuther
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011

      On 21.10.2011 at 02:49 Tim Johnson wrote:

      > I'm familiar with gvim on linux ubuntu. Am now learning to use
      > Macvim on Mac Mini (Lion OS). Syntax highlighting is not working,
      > except for a few keywords. I'm using the same rc files with no
      > modification.

      Can you elaborate on "not working, except for a few keywords"?
      What type of syntax highlighting do you expect, what's presented instead?
      Does it change if you manually select the syntax to use?
      What's in your rc files?

      > On a related note, is it possible to start MacVim in debug mode from
      > the command line?

      In Terminal.app execute "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -D" or "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -V" (assuming you've put MacVim into default application folder).
      --
      Best regards,

      Peter

    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2011
        * Peter Palmreuther <pitpalme@...> [111020 22:29]:
        > Hi,
        Thanks for the response.

        > Can you elaborate on "not working, except for a few keywords"?
        > What type of syntax highlighting do you expect, what's presented instead?
        Not all keyword groups are being highlighted. Example, I have a
        macro which expands to
        :echo synIDattr(synID(line("."), col("."), 1), "name")<CR><Space>
        and only keywords defined in ~/.vim/after are highlighted and those
        that I expect to be highlighted are not shown as belonging to
        a highlight group.
        > Does it change if you manually select the syntax to use?
        No.
        > What's in your rc files?
        :) Now that's a lot to cover! To make it short I am using the same
        local rc files and .vim directory that I use in linux.
        But it has become moot.
        ----------------------

        This is happening _only_ when I open a set of files defined in a
        session file imported from linux. There are numerous error
        messages most to do with non-existant paths and fonts. This is
        just a side effect of the errors, I would guess, because when I
        open a file from :e or from the menu, highlighting is all good.

        > > On a related note, is it possible to start MacVim in debug mode from
        > > the command line?

        > In Terminal.app execute
        > "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -D" or
        > "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -V" (assuming
        > you've put MacVim into default application folder).

        Oh this is very handy. Thanks. I need that.

        Other questions will follow, no doubt.
        cheers
        --
        Tim